What's wrong with that fox? (Graphic!)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so glad you got that mangy one! if you get the other one I'll buy the pelt from you if you skin it! ;D

So, now I've got a huge bloodstain in one of the hutches, the fox tried to hide or escape via the unfinished top hutch. Added doors since his last visit. Guess I'll scorch the blood stain to sterilize it, after removing as much as possible.
But boy, these foxes are fast, and fast thinking. And they can jump and climb. :eek:

Well, this ones pelt would only be a pretty convincing Halloween Zombie costume for a small dog. Looks much worse than a month ago.

Attachments

• Fuchs3.jpg
    Fuchs3.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 3,589
Ugh- poor fox! No wonder it was looking for an easy meal. I'm glad that you ended its suffering.

It probably has either demodectic or sarcoptic mange... I know that the mites burrow into the skin, but I would still be concerned that it may have shed some of the mites while in your enclosure and hutch. It could also be some type of fur mite. I'm not sure if mange mites affect other species other than canines and foxes, but I wouldn't take the chance that it wont cross over to your rabbits.

Can you get some food grade diatomaceous earth? If so, I would sprinkle it all over, especially in your hutch, just to be on the safe side.

Umm... yeah... that's what nightmares are made of :shock: :x Creepy looking thing... and at least now it's out of misery and can no longer spread whatever it is to other critters or creatures.

Bleach should take the blood stain out, shouldn't it? I assume you have bleach?

Glad you got him ... now bury him DEEP. What's wrong with his face? I notice in the earlier pic that he appeared to have the profile of a possum but figured it was probably just the poor photo quality. Nope, he really does have the profile of a possum. Any sign of damage to the face/skull?

Rabbitdog":26jfx2kd said:
Glad you got him ... now bury him DEEP. What's wrong with his face? I notice in the earlier pic that he appeared to have the profile of a possum but figured it was probably just the poor photo quality. Nope, he really does have the profile of a possum. Any sign of damage to the face/skull?

I was wondering as well - almost looks swollen or something....

Hm, bleach...

I have concentrated NaOH, the really dangerous stuff, about 30 liters somewhere in the shed. There's concentrated H2SO4 somewhere too, to neutralize it :shock: (I'm still finding amazing stuff in the house I bought last year). But, I'm somewhat careful about chemicals, I like heat better - easier to control (I'm an experienced pyromaniac indeed :D )

The fox - it's face didn't look that strange alive, it may be a post mortem/picture thing, anyway, this was a seriously ill animal. And what you don't see - the other side is a bloody mess.
I'm glad that you ended its suffering.
To be honest - the fox obviously didn't think that way.

The mites should not be a problem, can't survive for long on anything but dogs or maybe cats. But foxes do carry other parasites and pests, I'm glad our area is quite free of rabies.

I do respect these animals - I mean, you know how herding rabbits can be when they are sassy, foxes take this into the 3rd dimension. They are strong, and with potantial rabies I'm sure keeping my distance...

Latest posts

Back