Four month old doe

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just write 7lb 4oz which is pretty darn easy..both to write and to understand. I've seen, and been totally confused by, the 4.2 etc on pedigree forms. I could see 4;2 or 4,2 which are common for weights of other things. or like in the UK, £4,2 is £4 and 2d (shillings) so there was no confusion for 4.2. Also length is often like...10,2 (meaning 10 feet 2 inches) although that's easy with the 10'3" not to be confused with 10.25 (which is 10 and 1/4 feet or 3 inches)

Clarity when you write anything down is of primary concern. If there can be an easily made misinterpretation, you can bet it will be made.

The thing with scales is hard to combat, tho. My poultry and rabbit scales don't just say 4.2, they actually add the lb and oz (or kilogram, gram, ozt, whatever I'm weighing in). Interestingly, my bathroom digital scale does the 140.25, 140.5, 140.75 (it's supposed to read 4oz increments) so it says "140 and 1/4 lb", "140 and 1/2 lb" etc.

The decimal system is measured in tens.. the ounce system is not.. so you can't put two different systems together and expect everyone to automatically know how to read it. The numbers in ounces go up to 16; the numbers in the tens decimals go up to 99, ;)
Got nothing to do with being Canadian or not. Although our VOLUME ounces are bigger!!:)

To clarify I meant 7 and a half pounds. Ottersatin you would breed them even though they are only 4 months old.

jjgrappler":21itzx7f said:
To clarify I meant 7 and a half pounds. Ottersatin you would breed them even though they are only 4 months old.

I am not Ottersatin, but I can tell you that my does, which were born on Nov 1, were bred almost two weeks ago. I was going to wait, but they were all almost 8lbs and when I check their 'parts', they appeared to be ready. When I put them in with the buck it was pretty instantaneous. I would look at all those factors, but let's wait and see what Ottersatin says.....since you DID ask him and not me! :D

LOL thanx for the reply I appreciate it. I will have to check them it didn't cross my mind lol

sorry for the hijack there, jjgrappler... I would say that as long as they are above 7.65743542556677777 pounds then go for it :).

I had no idea that notations like that were anything other than decimals, to be read as decimals. Bad form, if you ask me. I will continue to write 5 lbs, 3 oz for clarity.

And I am a stubborn American who likes the standard system. Partly because that's what I grew up with and am used to, and partly because the rest of the world uses metric and I like being a rebel. :tease:

xlt they are a little under they weigh around 7.567432 pounds I feel bad I sparked this debate

Don't feel bad, debate is good (especially when I'm right :tease: :tease: :tease: :soap: )

Back