Rabbit bread

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoodat

Reaction score
I hate feeding grain to my rabbits first of all because they are so wasteful with it. They spill more than they eat. I've always fed them the hard crusts from my home made whole wheat bread but that isn't a complete grain. I had the idea the other day of baking bread specially for them with half whole wheat flour and half whole grain wheat and barley. I also add some wheat germ to the mix. It doesn't rise as much as the usual bread so it makes for a heavy loaf. I slice it and then dry it before I feed it to them. That should give them complete grains and they love crunching on it and waste almost none of it. It's so hard it should also help keep their teeth worn down and satisfy their gnawing instinct.
Now a question. Their diet is almost completely grass and red clover. How often should I feed grain? What are the problems with over doing the grain?

Grains are pretty much used to balance out the nutrients and for variety. and as a treat. Grains rarely have high protein (most sit around 12%).

I make treat "cookies" out of grains. I take barley, wheat, cracked oats and whirl it around a little in a blender. Then mix in either apple, pumpkin, or carrot puree (whirled around in a blender or food processor until it's liquid-y). pat that out onto a flat pan. Bake 350F until hard. (it's easier to cut into cubes if you press a knife thru it before baking)

Sounds as though you are ending up with almost the same product as I am but with a different method. I might try cutting some of the wheat and barley and adding cracked oats.

Latest posts

Back