Great idea - feeding & potty station

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nika

Reaction score
With a little modification like plastic pan underneath so you can directly empty it on the compost, this would be very useful thing for colony style rabbits.
iPXo7-3KWs0.jpg

How do you handle feces in your colony? Pictures welcome :)

I love that! I have something similar built into a wall on my future colony. It's not got that ledge though. It is going to have a wire landing pad, like where that rabbit is sitting, with a removable bin that I can pull out from the outside of the colony. Going to put in some litter boxes too. Unfortunately the whole project got derailed once I saw how much water was seeping into the barn from outside...*sighs* so going to put down a brick floor next month then get everything finished up. I'll get some pictures once I get the electrical done and the lights up :)

Wow... that is a nice piece of furniture! I wonder how it looks after months or years of use and testing by bunny teeth? :? :roll:

If only mine would ever potty where I wanted them to!
I bought the largest litterboxes I could find, filled them with hay and bedding pellets.

The rabbits see them as beds and poop beside them no matter where I place them. :evil:

did you let your rabbits establish a poop corner before you put the trays in Zass? and then weight the trays down in the area that they have chosen with dirty litter in it? :)

Some rabbits CAN BE persistent... I learned the weight the tray trick with a doe that really needed a tray in her cage and she'd move it and fuss with it and NOT USE IT cause she took it out of "HER" corner to go. weighted it down and she used it, once she got used to it I removed the weight.

That potty corner thing looks interesting but i'd want to see one time tested....

ladysown":2h6pho5k said:
did you let your rabbits establish a poop corner before you put the trays in Zass? and then weight the trays down in the area that they have chosen with dirty litter in it? :)

Some rabbits CAN BE persistent... I learned the weight the tray trick with a doe that really needed a tray in her cage and she'd move it and fuss with it and NOT USE IT cause she took it out of "HER" corner to go. weighted it down and she used it, once she got used to it I removed the weight.

If I move the pan to one side of the pen, they will poop on the other side. :roll: I always try to move poop and soiled bedding into the pan to give them the idea....This has been been ongoing for a few years now. They just feel that the pans make better beds than potties, I think. :? All my house buns just have cages where they can't destroy the floor with urine or feces.

THAT has to be incredibly frustrating for you Zass. So if you give them a different litter pan I suppose that doesn't matter either? I've known rabbits who've had three litter boxes. Two for sleeping and one for "doing their business". :) Silly buns.. keep you hopping eh?

Mucky did pretty well in her old pen, only a few mistakes all the time... :roll:
When I moved her though, she started really acting up. Now she refuses to use any pans at all.
I tried adding more litter pans until Mucky (and eventually Euryale) finally gave up and used one. It got to the point where most of pen was full of litter pans. Mostly dollar tree dishpans, one heavy square plastic thing from I-don't-know-where that she used somewhat more successfully in her old pen, and one large sized cat-box. They were not really able to move around as well, hopping from pan to pan...
Somehow, they STILL were preferring areas they could find without litter pans. o_O

It's not so bad though.
That pen is on a rabbit-proof surface so the girls can make a mess if it's that important to them. ;)
I just add horse bedding and hay to the potty corners to help keep things dry and the rabbits off their mess until cleaning day..
Interestingly, they do use favored corners when I move any pans out of them.
Maybe, I need to find the right pan. :shrug:

My colony has a patio slab floor so they can't dig out and then I spread fresh straw on it and they can do their business where they like. Every two weeks it gets completely cleaned out and a fresh bale of straw put in. Every alternating week I clean out the corners or other buildup and I keep an eye on things while doing chores and clean up whatever needs cleaning up. It's pretty simple and works well. The chickens get the dirty straw, it keeps them occupied for a couple of days while they dig in it and it covers the snow in the winter which gives them something to walk on.

Latest posts

Back