• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rabbit Talk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Selling rabbits - Questions.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Wasn't too sure where to stick this, but since it is about selling rabbits I figured I would put it here, lol.

I have a few pet quality rabbits that I am trying to sell. The kits, and momma doe are not adding anything to my Rabbitry, and are pretty much slowing down my grow out times. I have an ad posted on Craigslist, and one on EBayclassifieds. So far I have 0 responses. The Craigslist ad has been up for about 2 weeks, and the other one maybe a week. I know there are lots of breeders around here some of them I do know, and they do get quite a bit of business. So I am not sure what I am doing wrong, lol.

Since you are marketing them for pets, I would take photos of them out of the cage against some cute backdrop and photograph them individually. Take a whole slew of pictures so you have a lot to choose from and can pick the ones that show the most expression and personality, and post a few of each kit. You want people to feel an emotional connection to them just from viewing the photos.

You might also want to name them- and definitely confirm their sex- you can post pics here of their nether regions and we will help you.

If I was selling bunnies as pets, my ad would likely read something more like this:

"Adorable bunnies looking for new homes! These babies have been handled since the day they were born, so are incredibly friendly and trusting. They have been raised with children so have gotten lots of daily attention and will make wonderful pets.

Rabbits have delicate digestive systems, so the bunnies will go home with enough food and hay to transition them to a new diet safely.

Rabbits are not right for everyone, so please include a brief description of the home you will provide, including children and other pets, and whether you have owned rabbits before. We offer lifetime support and will be happy to answer any questions on caring for your new friend that you may have."

I would also bump the price to at least $15 or $20 to reflect the time and effort you have put into raising them and the value you place on their little bunny lives.

*Very important* sell the doe separately! If these rabbits are such nice pets, why are you selling their mom? :eek:

Good luck! :clover:

Easter isn't that far away so you could mention that in the ad, and also use some Easter decorations in your pictures, like surround them
a basket and eggs.....I agree with selling mom seperate. And I would list them in groups of 2 or 3, sometimes larger groups can make people wonder why you have so many. And also try hobbily.com:). I also like to add that mine are handled from day one and come from a
home with kids, and sometimes use a cute pic
of one of my daughters holding them so they see it's a good fit! For their security you can chose to leave out your kids names and at personal info:)

Thanks everyone!

MSD - I will get on taking better pictures today, and work on my ad. I am no good at "creative advertisement," lol. I will think up some names, but will have to remember how to tell when apart. The one that says possible doe has been hit by the sex change fairy twice now, haha. The reason I am also selling the doe is, because she, and her sister were given to us as "payment" when we first started rabbits. My neighbor asked me to take care of his horses for a week, and instead of the $30 he was going to pay me I asked him to talk to the woman where he got his pet rabbit, and just get me 1 buck, and 2 does to start our meat line. Sadly the buck "Harvey." passed away after a month. The sisters are Harlequin/Checkered Giant. Oswin, the doe that is for sale has more of the body, and color of the Checkered Giant, and her grow out time is awful for my meat line, and I was thinking of if I get her sold I want to bring in a NZ. Her sister "B" got more of the body, and color of the Harlequin so her grow out time is right on track. Thank you for explaining what I should say in my post. It's like I have no problem talking here, but to make a selling ad I curl up into a ball, and forget how to word, haha.

macksmom98 - I did think about adding the fact that Easter is coming to my ad. I did make a Hoobly ad once, but quickly removed it when I found out that some local a-holes have been calling the authorities on rabbit breeders making wild, but untrue accusations.

HansenHomestead":uv867z5r said:
The reason I am also selling the doe is, because she, and her sister were given to us as "payment" when we first started rabbits, and her grow out time is awful for my meat line.

Oh, I know why you are selling her, lol, but your potential buyers don't need to know that. ;)

HansenHomestead":uv867z5r said:
Thank you for explaining what I should say in my post. It's like I have no problem talking here, but to make a selling ad I curl up into a ball, and forget how to word, haha.

:lol: Glad to help. Your ad was fine, just too dry and factual for pet sales. By asking for a bit of info about the home they are going to people will feel that you care where they end up, and thereby they have more value.

Much better! I love the first picture of Trigger!

Hope the responses will start rolling in for you now! :clover:

Great ads!

One small one-word suggestion...add the word "each" after the prices. You will get asked.

By selling the doe separately, I think people meant that it might be better have her in a separate add, or else to just not mention that she is the mother of the kits for sale.

It's fine to say she's proven, but when someone offers babies and mom in the same add it kind of suggests that there may be something undesirable about all of them..

If selling to breeders, "senior doe" goes over pretty well. If the target market is a pet home "adult female" or else just calling her by her name may work a bit better. Pet people seem to like language they can relate to. :)

MamaSheepdog":3moop67u said:
Homer":3moop67u said:
They must have. The ads are gone now. :eek:

I think you probably clicked on the links to the first ads... the new ones are here:

http://chambana.craigslist.org/pet/5440271989.html

http://centralil.ebayclassifieds.com/ot ... d=43080772

You're right, I did. All I saw was a 404 error and "deleted by the seller" messages.

member-piwoslaw-albums-smileys-picture2638t-homer-doh.gif
I hate "senior moments" like that.

Good luck with your sale Becca!

Latest posts

Back