Rough Night on the Homestead

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I don't like to kill anything if I don't have to but after that experience of opening the shed door yesterday morning and seeing the carnage I wasn't in much of a compassionate mood. I have 20 young turkeys coming in May so I had to get rid of it. I would rather deal with rats, the be honest, at least I can catch them with snap traps and they're less likely to go after full grown birds. Here's one of the rats I've been dealing with.

Attachments

• IMG_18671.jpg
    IMG_18671.jpg
    681.9 KB · Views: 824
Not me! I'd rather deal with anything other than rats! At least mink and weasels are basically solitary (except in breeding season and then they only have ONE THING on their minds.) Rats just keep coming and coming! Filthy, loathsome, disgusting vermin!

Weasels and mink have solved our rat problems several times over the past dozen years. If they take the odd bird or rabbit, we're still in their debt.

I'm not certain but I believe that's a marten, kinda cute but vicious little things. I accidently caught one in a leg hold fox trap. When I walked up to the set and saw what I had I felt sorry for it. I was saying "oh aren't you a cute little thing" when it suddenly launched right at my face, I was sure glad that trap chain held and I was not sorry to put a .22 short through it's cute little head. :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_marten

I don't think Truckinguy's catch is a marten. As you can see from the picture, Coyote Joe, martens have that distinct apricot-coloured patch under the throat and their fur is a rich, medium brown. Their ears stick up more too.

They do look cute, but you're right they are going to attack if they are cornered or trapped. When free they tend to run away through the treetops much like a squirrel would. Considerably bigger than a squirrel, of course, but very agile and fast.

Back