Excited anticipation

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephanie

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I have 2 does, firsttimers, which I bred last month that are due today. I've been watching them closely the last couple of days. Although they had both made a hollow spot in their nestboxes, neither had pulled any fur whatsoever. When I got home from work earlier, I went out immediately to check on them. Nothing had changed. I went out to lunch with a friend. Just got back and went to check on them again. One of them has a nice new fur lined hollow. The other one has been sitting in her box all day, so I can't see if she's lined it yet. But, I am quite confident that at least one of them will be setting out new popples very soon. I'm really beginning to enjoy this new hobby/enterprise. Isn't this just so kewl??

Went back out to check on her and found her eating the afterbirths. Found 4 kits, all in the wrong end of the nestbox, away from the fur. I gently moved them and tucked them in. I was hoping for twice that. But, there may be more in there by now. It's gotten dark out, so I'll wait till tomorrow to get a final count.

Stephanie":244qoh9m said:
Went back out to check on her and found her eating the afterbirths. Found 4 kits, all in the wrong end of the nestbox, away from the fur. I gently moved them and tucked them in. I was hoping for twice that. But, there may be more in there by now. It's gotten dark out, so I'll wait till tomorrow to get a final count.

Neat you got to see that! The only thing I have ever witnessed even close to that was a dead kit being eaten :x , and even worse, one that was still alive :x :cry: (something I hope to never have to deal with again). Congrats on the first litter!! I just had my 1 year anniversary for keeping rabbits (got my first ones 1/31/15) - nothing has topped the first litter of 11. She really set the bar high! :lol:

I just brought the nestbox in to check on the litter. She had a total of 4. One has died. But, on the off chance that it might not be long gone, I am warming it up to see if it'll revive. The other 3 look very healthy. And Annabelle showed her mothering skills by getting into the nestbox to check on her kits right after I replaced it in her cage. She has also added even more fur to the nest since yesterday. She didn't pull until the last couple of hours, but she has a very respectable nest now.

Latest posts

Back