sick humans tending rabbits question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rainey

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Another question I feel silly asking :oops: . . .
Usually the echinacea tincture I make nips anything we've picked up in the bud, but the past few weeks have been difficult. Last month it was a cold/sore throat thing and just when I had finally gotten my voice back from that Zach got hit with a stomach thing (he says the driver of the co-op truck he unloaded Wed morning was sick) and today Joanna is starting to feel queasy :(
Usually when someone is sick the others cover their chores. But what if everyone is sick and just the one that's the least wobbly at the moment goes to do them. Can rabbits catch human colds (I assume the dreaded snuffles is something else, something more rabbity) or stomach bugs? Would echinacea or other herbs help?

Rainey":3jc4dr6j said:
Not silly at all. :)

There are very few things that can go between humans and rabbits, and colds and stomach bugs do not pass at all, as far as I know.

Humans can get E. cuniculi, IF the human is seriously immunocompromised, AND has an open cut or sore, AND fluids from the rabbit get into that open cut or sore.

The things that can pass between humans and rabbits are few, and it is difficult for it to actually happen.

I really don't think you need to worry, but as a precaution I would suggest the person tending them should wash hands beforehand and keep handling of the rabbits to a minumum. Just feed and water, if possible.

Rainey":2op15ac2 said:
Usually the echinacea tincture I make nips anything we've picked up in the bud, but the past few weeks have been difficult. Last month it was a cold/sore throat thing and just when I had finally gotten my voice back from that Zach got hit with a stomach thing (he says the driver of the co-op truck he unloaded Wed morning was sick) and today Joanna is starting to feel queasy :(
Usually when someone is sick the others cover their chores. But what if everyone is sick and just the one that's the least wobbly at the moment goes to do them. Can rabbits catch human colds (I assume the dreaded snuffles is something else, something more rabbity) or stomach bugs? Would echinacea or other herbs help?

I hope you and your family are feeling better soon!

Latest posts

Back