Wire for new cages without long wait

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rainey

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I've read many posts about choosing a place to buy wire for cages and the consensus seemed to be that Klubertanz was good for price and quality but the wait was problematic. So just wanted to post and say that we ordered wire Jan 12 for the new cages we'll need this year. The order arrived a couple days ago--about 2 weeks from order. I'm not trying to promote any particular company (please don't hit me with the chair or ban my posts ;) ) but thought if anyone did want to get wire from K they might want to order in the winter to get prompter shipment.

I think buying from a reputable rabbit supply company is a good thing, I saved a lot of money by ordering from a wire products supplier,-- when I got the wire, it was not what I had ordered, it was lighter gauge , and not galvanized after welding, they were unresponsive when I contacted them, -so I used it to build cages anyway- the cage floors are already coming apart-- lesson learned,- cheaper was not at all better, -- those floors will have to be replaced-- and more money spent for good wire, and then, a lot of extra labor...

alforddm":3o1k7o8q said:
What did you get and how much was shipping? I hope I'm not being to rude by asking.

Not rude--I just don't have an answer. The order arrived with a packing slip but not an invoice and the order was placed by phone so I know the total but not how much was for shipping. We got 25 ft of 1 x 1/2 x 30 wire and 34 ft of 1 x 2 x 48 wire, 6 each of J-feeders and door locks, bottle brushes and 10 cap/tube assemblies for water bottles.
My son figured out the order for the number and size of cages we wanted to build. The shipping would depend on your location--not just distance from Klubertanz in Wisconsin but also various surcharges--we get one for being in an "isolated rural area" for shipping. Building the cages ourselves, the cost per cage is reasonable and we're hoping that buying good quality wire means the cages will last a long time. Don't know if that helps at all. I just thought I should mention how much shorter time we had to wait for delivery this order. I guess that sometime in the summer they must get a lot of orders when folks who breed in the spring suddenly have a population explosion and need more grow out cages :) So ordering early might be a good idea.

michaels4gardens":3ktp46d9 said:
lesson learned,- cheaper was not at all better...

Yeah, sometimes it ends up being "Pay me now, or pay me MORE later."

I'm one of those that has recommended Klubertanz and the wire they sell. I've also warned about possible long wait times for orders to arrive. I've never been disappointed in the quality of the materials they sell.

Their catalog and prices can be found online. Regarding shipping charges, just call them up and ask them. I've always found them easy to work with and willing to try a number of options in order to save on shipping costs.

Ask any of my rabbits and they'll tell you that the 14-gague Galvanized-After-Wire that Klubertanz sells is well worth the price and the wait.

I ordered 3 cages, along with feeders, water bottles, and a pair of j-clip pliers, the first week of this past July, from Klubertanz. I was told that they were running a bit behind, and since my order had 3 different size cages that it wouldn't be ready by the end of the month, but probably mid to late August. I was ok with that and placed the order. Last week of August, I called to check on the order status. I was told, once again, that since my order had 3 different size cages that it would take a bit longer, probably another month, which would make it late September. Early in the 4th week of November I called again to check order status. It still wasn't ready. And, when I asked for an estimated time, the response was a laugh and "Well, it won't be by the end of the month." I couldn't take that attitude, so I cancelled the entire order and went elsewhere, ordering just wire. I've built them myself. From all that I've heard of the quality of Klubertanz's wire, I would have no doubt gotten better wire from them than I ended up getting. But, I refuse to do business with them. If they had a 90% off sale, with free shipping, I'd still go elsewhere.

Another vote for Klubertanz. Sure, sometimes you have to wait, mainly during show season, but it's worth it. The longest I've waited was about 3 months. My latest order was 2 weeks, 8ncluding shipping. They've always been patient with me. They are a small, family-run business with great products. Just plan ahead, it might take some time.

There is a saying, "A lack of planning on your part does not make an emergency on my part." These days, with so much quickly available, people are into instant gratification.

Another saying is "Good things come to those who wait." So true in the case of Klubertanz.

They will continue to get my business.

I have placed 2 orders with Klub. The first order was around $240 worth of wire and other supplies. It took a bit longer than I wanted and 2 nest boxes arrived in the wrong size. However, they made it right and the quality is simply the best that I've seen. And now, looking back, I'm very satisfied and would highly recommend them.
Last week, I recieved another $300 order from them and it arrived right on time. Again, superior quality and I'm glad I dealt with them. If you want quality, they will meet/exceed your expectations. They're not perfect ... but neither am I. :)

I considered ordering from Klubertanz, but went with Bass Equipment. I just ordered wire this week. I'll try to remember to update with shipping times, cost per ft, etc. Having placed my order online, I accidentally made a mistake in my order; I ordered 1/2x1x30 for my cage bottoms and 1x2x24 for the cage tops (1x2x18 with 4" baby saver for the sides). Thankfully they called and helped me change the wire I ordered for tops to 1x2x30. It saved me a lot of time, wasted expense and aggravation. I'm very thankful for that.

I buy mine at lowes. Can get 1/2x1 floor wire
http://www.lowes.com/pd_52347-16418-840 ... 29252&pl=1
It say's it's 16ga :x but I compared it to the per made cages you can pick up at tractor supply or orscheln and they are the same in every way.

Plus 1x1 wall and top wire
http://www.lowes.com/pd_52247-16418-840 ... 29250&pl=1
It's 16ga also.

Am going to try a 2''x4'' spacing for wall and top got a roll cheap and since it's here why not. That would only be used for grow out pens.

Hope this helps,
Cathy

Let me know how well the Lowe's wire works for you. I used some of that 1x1 on my chicken coop and found that the welds were VERY weak. I accidentally broke a few welds while cutting and attaching it. I don't have my numbers in front of me, but I don't think it's much less expensive than shipping in wire from Klubertanz.

I do find the 1x1 from lowes to be a little flimsy. Most of my cages are made of 1x2 12ga wire. It was a barn fine and was free. Love it. But have been having issues find it in stores. I know with it I won't have to replace cages for years. :p :lol: :lol:

Just hoping the 14ga 2x4 will work for grow outs.

wamplercathy":3q74r841 said:
I do find the 1x1 from lowes to be a little flimsy. Most of my cages are made of 1x2 12ga wire. It was a barn fine and was free. Love it. But have been having issues find it in stores. I know with it I won't have to replace cages for years. :p :lol: :lol:

Just hoping the 14ga 2x4 will work for grow outs.

I found out the hard way that 6 week old kits will go right through that.

Even for those that don't show rabbits, you may want to check out the suppliers coming to your local shows. Many times you can order ahead of time - especially for large items like cages and wire - then pick them up at a show to save on shipping costs. The added bonus is you know when you will get your order, too! bunnyrabbit.com always has a 10% off your order coupon they send out to their email list for orders to be picked up at shows, too!

Aggie03":2snplo0a said:
I considered ordering from Klubertanz, but went with Bass Equipment. I just ordered wire this week. I'll try to remember to update with shipping times, cost per ft, etc. Having placed my order online, I accidentally made a mistake in my order; I ordered 1/2x1x30 for my cage bottoms and 1x2x24 for the cage tops (1x2x18 with 4" baby saver for the sides). Thankfully they called and helped me change the wire I ordered for tops to 1x2x30. It saved me a lot of time, wasted expense and aggravation. I'm very thankful for that.

I just received a call from UPS Freight that the order will be here Friday. That would make it two weeks from the time I ordered the wire to the day it's delivered. Not too shabby.

Back