Alberta Residents: Jan. 30-31 Wetaskiwin, AB Rabbit Show

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knacker

Reaction score
I just wanted to mention a rabbit show I discovered yesterday for the end of this month. It's kind of cool that I discovered one so close to home after a brief search last night. We will not be entering, just discovering.

The main exhibits or whatever are birds, but there is also a rabbit show as per the poster (right under where it says: Wetaskiwin Drill Hall), and as per the E.A.R.S website. In this area of the world it would be unusual to have any show regarding rabbits, so I am going to take it for what it is and enjoy what little there is.

I'm hoping to find someone who breeds or knows of someone who breeds D'Argents around here.

Wet-ask-i-win. Pretty much pronounce each individual word as it looks but without the pauses; and if you do make the pauses then you are pretty much pronouncing it in it's original Cree form. It's a Cree word that means "Hills of Peace". Most people unfamiliar with the name ask the same question, and that is pretty much anybody that doesn't live in Alberta.

I consider Wetaskiwin my hometown although I was born on the west coast.

Hi,

be sure to take some pictures, would be interesting how that buy/sell section looks like.

Just for reference, a few pictures of our monthly local small pet and livestock market :)

Attachments

• Doblbad1.JPG
    Doblbad1.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 3,360
  • Doblbad2.JPG
    Doblbad2.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 3,360
  • Doblbad3.JPG
    Doblbad3.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 3,360
  • Doblbad4.JPG
    Doblbad4.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 3,360
Hope you're going to stop in and say' Hi' Knacker. I'll be there and so will a couple others on here. EARS is always on the look out for new members so keep that in mind too, the AGM is that weekend as well.

And how will I know it is you, does your name card read 3mina? j/k :) We're looking forward to it.

3mina, are you from the Round Hill area?

Nope, I'm in Edmonton. I have Rex, and I'll have a badge saying EARS Club Director :D

My rabbitry name is Lorazark

I will make it a point to say hello, 3mina.

I have seen some pictures of your black otters here and I have to admit I have been a fan since I first discovered them. Will you be showing them?

I have to admit, and this is kind of strange but when I Googled the name "Lorazark" a house came up in Wetaskiwin, which is just down the street from where I grew up; the house was also right across the alley from my friend Don who raises hounds.

Maybe not you, but weird.

That was me, I also used Lorazark as my grooming business name as well. I adored those hounds, small world isn't it?

I'll have a couple of otter bucks at the show but nothing for sale until later this summer, I have exactly three, uh, four juniors right now, with three litters on the way. But I'm not going to actually expect to have anything in nestboxes until March, this is the first time in a few years I've tried breeding this early in the year.

I love my otters and I'll always have them. I'm also branching out, sables and ambers are going to be joining my herd as well

Yep, pretty darn small.

Reminds me of when I lived in Ireland a few years ago and met a women on a bus travelling from Lahinch to Dublin. Her being from Dublin happened to have spent a year in Canmore, worked at the Tim Hortons and hung out with old friends of the family I grew up with.

Canada maybe big in size but very small in population.

I too will be there, showing Satins. I will also bring some fleece and drop spindles and will be teaching people to spin! Bring a chair!

I know there are some local d'argent breeders so I am sure you will be able to make that connection.

Wool and spinning is not something my wife and I are into, but we have already mentioned the event to a friend of ours who is very interested in coming. She has various livestock including water foul and she spins her own wool from her sheep. She would find your exhibit very interesting.

My wife knits or crochets or something like that (LOL), but she has some pretty good asthma and her allergies to animals do not help. Fortunately the rabbits haven't been too bad on her, yet she can get quite itchy at times. Cats and horses are a nightmare on her.

Looking forward to meeting you.

Got it.

__________ Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:48 pm __________

Here are some photos of today's Bird and Rabbit show in Wetaskiwin.

This first one is a panoramic that I hope works here.

These next 2 are taken around the rabbit showing area.

This next one is the "petting zoo". My youngest daughter is in the center wearing the pink pants and kneeling.

Here is another pic showing some of the birds. I was amazed at how many breeds of pigeons existed. My wife is the one with the black coat and scarf standing next to our friends who raise geese, ducks and chickens.

Sorry Preitler, the "buy and sell" section really didn't exist. The animals for sale were fairly dispersed among everything else. <br /><br /> __________ Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:55 pm __________ <br /><br /> Nice meeting you Schipperkesue. 3mena, I had no idea who you were but it is a good chance we chatted today. I wore the camouflage hat with a brown zip up hoodie.

Did you enjoy it Knacker?

We go the IPE every year (Interior Provincial Exhibition in Armstrong BC) and there isn't a huge rabbit area either... you'd think there would be since there happens to be tons of breeders around(or at least seems to be) this past year there was maybe 15-20 rabbits... mostly drawf sized.. lots of broken colours. anyways.. I also like to hear about how other shows go.

There is a a few Poultry and Small Animal sales in my area.. we used to just go for the birds (chickens) but now we may go for the rabbits too.

We definitely enjoyed it and so did our girls. They spent most of the time in the petting zoo.

There seemed to be around 200 rabbits showing (maybe less, a lot of rabbits though) and many breeds. There were no d'argents present as we hoped but we were lucky to find at least one breeder who raised them and had a good conversation. I was also able to help out one couple who were raising meat rabbits.

My wife and I are not sure if showing rabbits is for us but we are very interested in getting our girls involved with 4-H using rabbits as a medium. Having the ability to ask a lot of people involved in showing was a great eye opener in what we as a family could expect.

I also ran into an old friend that I haven't seen since '95, so that was nice.

I have to say the entire show was a great experience. Our friends thought so too.

Latest posts

Back