How pure is your poop?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wamplercathy

Reaction score
I was bagging up some bunny berries and it got me to thinking: :?
How pure is your bagged, ready for sell, bunny berries? :shock:

I have been trying to get most of the hay/straw out of it, but am right at about 80/20 (poop/h&s).

What are yall's thoughts?

I don't sell mine. We have a large garden and it all goes in it. I don't separate anything. All the hey, straw and berries go in to loosen the soil and feed the plants. :)

Mine is very pure because I haven't fed hay in a long time (too expensive!), so the only times I have "contamination" by shavings or hay is when I have nesting does/litters coming out of the box. I just rake that up and use it here.

I think that having some hay and shavings mixed in can be used to your advantage- just explain in your marketing that they will also break down over time and add other nutrients to the soil. The shavings will help add carbon to the soil which will offset the ammonia in the urine, for instance.

mine ends up about the same as yours.. possibly a bit less.

I collect only on days that I don't feed hay so I don't have a to fuss with separating out large quantities of hay.

Some use something to sift the hay out.

I made one and if I use it I can get about 85/15. I keep the hay racks full. Usually filling once a day. :x They go through it like candy. :lol: :lol:

I would say mine is about 95% berry. I feed hay from a feeder mounted on the outside. So that hay is right in the front of tray, which I grab out with my hand and get most of it. The worst is from does pre-nesting, then its all over the tray. Even then when I scrape the tray out, it balls up kind of, and can still be removed. Of course I don't pick every bit of hay out but I try to get the majority of what is in there.

MSD, you are really good at your marketing wording.

SoDak Thriver":5ms1gv3f said:
Well, I try to get plenty of roughage and fiber in my high protein diet but....

What's that you say?

Ohhhhhhhh. You meant my rabbits' poop. I've made a huge mistake. :oops:

:lol: I hope your getting your daily hay ration!

My, bunny, poop lol is filthy dirty. Chock full of hay. Sometimes I think it would be nice to separate it but my property is new to me with very poor soil so it goes right into the garden just like that. Mulch plus yummy pellets. My excess gets tossed out in the nearby grassy, oh I mean weedy areas, to work it's magic on that poor starving soil.

SoDak Thriver":32jpkybu said:
Well, I try to get plenty of roughage and fiber in my high protein diet but....

What's that you say?

Ohhhhhhhh. You meant my rabbits' poop. I've made a huge mistake. :oops:
Your a dork. :p :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: <br /><br /> __________ Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:26 pm __________ <br /><br /> We have a huge garden plot but was planning on trading a few feed bags full to our neighbor in exchange for having our gardened plowed this year. :? He jumped at the opportunity. :p :lol: :lol:
Ha ha jumped. :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ZRab":2ghya7ud said:
MSD, you are really good at your marketing wording.

Why thank you, ZRab!

I assume you are referring to my CraigsList ad for bunny berries? It's one of my better works- but then, one must be creative when selling shi... er, manure. :twisted: <br /><br /> __________ Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:53 am __________ <br /><br />
SoDak Thriver":2ghya7ud said:
wamplercathy":2ghya7ud said:
Your a dork. :p :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

He jumped at the opportunity. :p :lol: :lol:
Ha ha jumped. :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Takes one to know one, I s'pose. :)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

alforddm":2l64rgkr said:
I assume you are referring to my CraigsList ad for bunny berries? It's one of my better works- but then, one must be creative when selling shi... er, manure. :twisted:

You almost made my spit my coffee on the computer! :rotfl: :rotfl:

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Well, I'm glad to hear that you appreciate it! :yes:

As you know, there is a rule against swearing here at RT, even implied expletives, so I am risking disciplinary action for the above comment. :eek:

The opportunity was too good to pass up, however, so let Miss M bring on her chair... or laser... or that wicked new contraption that knocks your eyeballs out... :x

I'm awfully glad I peeked back in here. :popcorn:

Humor aside..
Hay and straw left in the manure can add weed seeds. Possibly, grass, hay, or ground cover seed depending on how you market it. ;)
To me, more garden weeds = more free rabbit food, but I guess not every gardener would appreciate it. :?

Zass":2y4kq8ne said:
To me, more garden weeds = more free rabbit food, but I guess not every gardener would appreciate it. :?

Last year the grass and weeds were so bad I lost my whole garden. :evil:

On the other hand one could say that the grass was beautiful. :x :lol: :lol: :lol:
Because that's all we were able to grow. :cry:

:farmer3: This year is going to be better. Even if it kills me. :zombiebun: :x :lol: :lol:

I dont sell mine but I tried to catch it in buckets to keep the blasted chickens out of it. So I wrapped screen wire round the bottom of the cages and funneled it into 20 gallon pots.

Yesterday I pulled out some full ones.....................

The manure looked to have equal amounts of poo and soldier fly maggots in it.

And the smell? Wiffy to say the least. :lol:

Dont think the garden is going to mind but it was an interesting job laying it out, to say the least!

I am selling ALL of my stockpile of manure- 51 bags!- to a fellow from Sacramento today!

My current pricing is at $6 per bag if 20 are purchased, but I gave him a deal and dropped it to $5 per bag since Sacramento is about 5 hours distant. Still- $255 is nothing to sneeze at, for poop of all things! :p

I have also started using hot glue to close the bags. The tape just wasn't working out. Whether I used clear packing tape or duct tape, it always lost it's adhesive properties, so before selling the bags I had to re-tape them.

Hopefully the hot glue will save me the work of doing the same job twice!

Back