trying to understand protein in rabbit diet

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
reluctant farmer, I think it would be really hard to keep records of forage feeding. Weight wouldn't be very accurate because sometimes the plants I gather are wetter, therefore heavier. I'm just trying to get a better sense of what combinations of feed work best for me. We keep track by feeling them all at least once a week. Can't remember who on here recommended it but it is easy to do for a small rabbitry and I've been surprised and reassured by how quickly they respond to weekly adjustments. Anyone who's getting a bit thin gets more and anyone who feels a bit fat gets less. The buck and the does when they aren't being bred don't get grain unless it's cold or they feel thin. Nursing does and grow outs get grain and/or roots as well as forage or the wheat fodder and hay. The does seem a little thin at some point when nursing but not very much and they regain the weight quickly once the kits are weaned.
What I can get for grain around here is wheat and oats. We buy both for chickens and goats as well as rabbits. I don't know if one is better than the other for adding to the sort of diet I feed rabbits. As with most things, I tend to do some of both. Except for sprouting--the wheat is just easier to grow into fodder.

Rainey":u158fp4j said:
reluctant farmer, I think it would be really hard to keep records of forage feeding. Weight wouldn't be very accurate because sometimes the plants I gather are wetter, therefore heavier. I'm just trying to get a better sense of what combinations of feed work best for me.
Oh, I absolutely agree--I gave the wrong impression of what I was trying to say. I'm interested in any patterns of combinations of foods=better weight patterns. I think we're looking for the same thing. Unfortunately, I didn't track cycles of what I was feeding very well--when the buns had fat deposits, I have a general sense of what I was feeding, but not clear of what and how many days. If I had written types of foods down (not weights) it could help me see if there's a usuable pattern. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back