• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rabbit Talk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

First time selling rabbits.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have decided I want to see 2 of my 8 week old rabbits from a litter of 4. We are keeping 2 for the breeding program, and selling the other 2. This is my first time selling, and I admit I am worried. Things like even though I know they may be bought for breeding stock, and such maybe even pets. So the fact that they be eaten one day does not bother me. What has me worried is that while they are alive will they be properly taken care of? I also wanted to ask about listing their breed. The Dame is Havana/Silver Fox, and the Sir is California. I ask, because on my Buyer Agreement there's a place for Rabbit Sex, Birthdate, and Breed. I want to know what I should I write for their breed? Should I write it as. Havana/Silver Fox/Californian, or just Meat Mutts? :lol:

they aren't a particular breed so list them either as meat mutts or California crosses.

If you are worried about the care that they will receive you have to decide if you would rather eat them yourself rather than selling them. Whenever you sell an animal you have to consider if you can handle it if they end up in a poor situation. Or you could simply assume the best of people. :)

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do once they are sold and they have to take their chances. I have a "no questions asked return policy" but I've only had a couple people follow up with this. I also feel I am pretty throrough and choosy about who I sell to and it is heart wrenching to see mini lops I've bred show up in classifieds ads

I would call them "mixed breed" as in my experience people grab onto the most exotic or desirable breed and will call them that and if they breed them they may try and market them as something they are not :(

It helps me to have an actual checklist of what to tell the buyer, and what to ask.
Like feeding basics, which food they get now and if they know that transitions should made slowly (I give a weeks supply of their food if need be). Or to check if they figure out their new watering system.
How to pick up and handle rabbits, if they are newbies (Rabbit ears are not a convenient carrying handle :x )

Only important things, not what you or the rabbits like or prefer in every detail, too much info is no good.

Most things I don't have to tell each time, but having the list makes it easier to remember if, when talking to these people, my gut tells me that some advice wouldn't hurt.

What are those "certain stated reasons"? Sickness while in quarantine?

Here's my buys agreement

Buyer Agreement.

Buyer:________________________________ Phone #: ________________________

Street: _______________________ City: ___________________ Zip: ____________

Email:__________________________________________________________________

Rabbit sex: ________________ Birthdate: _______________ Breed:

Price: Other Details: ______________________________________

I (buyer) have inspected this rabbit and am satisfied that it is in good health and condition at the time of purchase, and that any known flaws have been disclosed.

I understand that I may contact Rebecca at any time with questions or concerns about the rabbit, help working through any behavior issues, etc.
I agree that if this rabbit has been sold as bred, this is not guaranteed and the breeding will not be repeated if failed.
I also understand that I can return the rabbit to Rebecca at any time for the lifetime of the rabbit at no charge to me, but will not receive a refund or exchange unless it has a problem as follows:
● If the rabbit becomes ill or dies within 1 week after purchase due to a previously underlying cause.
● If a rabbit becomes ill or dies within 72 hours after purchase (not due to neglect, abuse, or improper diet) you may receive a replacement rabbit (if one is available) of the same value, or for a full refund.

● If the rabbit develops an aggressive temperament, Rebecca will attempt to help work through the issue. If it cannot be resolved, then a refund or a ONE TIME exchange will apply (assuming the issue is not due to the rabbit being mistreated).
In any of these two cases, the seller will offer an exchange for a different rabbit. If a replacement rabbit is not available or practical, the seller may offer a refund of the purchase price instead. In the case of a refund or exchange, the original rabbit must be returned unless other arrangements are mutually agreed upon.

Buyer:________________________ __________________________ ______________
Name Signature Date

Parent or guardian:_______________ _________________________ ______________
if a minor Name Signature Date

Seller: __________________________ ___________________ ______________
Name Signature Date

My take on your for sale policy

I (buyer) have inspected this rabbit and am satisfied that it is in good health and condition at the time of purchase, and that any known flaws have been disclosed. EXCELLENT

I understand that I may contact Rebecca at any time with questions or concerns about the rabbit, help working through any behavior issues, etc. EXCELLENT

I agree that if this rabbit has been sold as bred, this is not guaranteed and the breeding will not be repeated if failed. EXCELLENT

I also understand that I can return the rabbit to Rebecca at any time for the lifetime of the rabbit at no charge to me, but will not receive a refund or exchange EXCELLENT

unless it has a problem as follows:
● If the rabbit becomes ill or dies within 1 week after purchase due to a previously underlying cause.

HOW WILL YOU KNOW THIS? WILL YOU REQUIRE RABBIT TO BE VETTED WITHIN 48 HOURS?

● If a rabbit becomes ill or dies within 72 hours after purchase (not due to neglect, abuse, or improper diet) you may receive a replacement rabbit (if one is available) of the same value, or for a full refund.

SUGGESTION: NEVER DO A FULL REFUND. JUST OFFER EXCHANGE AND YOU MUST (I need to stress this) YOU MUST get the body of the rabbit back.

● If the rabbit develops an aggressive temperament, Rebecca will attempt to help work through the issue. If it cannot be resolved, then a refund or a ONE TIME exchange will apply (assuming the issue is not due to the rabbit being mistreated).

HOW ARE YOU GOING TO PROVE IT WASN'T NEGLECT OR POOR HANDLING? Take the rabbit back or offer assistance in helping them with the issue at hand.

In any of these two cases, the seller will offer an exchange for a different rabbit. If a replacement rabbit is not available or practical, the seller may offer a refund of the purchase price instead. In the case of a refund or exchange, the original rabbit must be returned unless other arrangements are mutually agreed upon.

NOT SURE what you mean "not available or practical".. if they have an issue with the rabbit why would it not be available. If they have moved far away NOT YOUR ISSUE. if you aren't getting the rabbit back DO NOT offer to return the purchase price.

WHY? Because there are less than honest people in the world who will claim this that or the other thing and then you find out that they lied and you are out a bunny and they've gotten away with dishonesty.

:yeahthat:

I would rethink the passages where you get in the situation to prove something that you can't prove - like bad handling, wrong food, etc.

On the other hand - reading that can make people think :idea:

I try to give them advice when selling, and point at where to find info, and they can always contact me, but when sold it's out of my control, bye bye bunny :good-luck:

I would take it back if a good reason is presented, but it would go straight into freezer camp, I have no space for quarantine.

Anyway, from the two dozen rabbits I sold I never heard any problems :), so just be careful but not pessimistic :)

I don't over complicate it .... no buyers agreement. Don't hold rabbits , wont take them back either .... Cash & carry only , pedigrees upon request (via email since I don't have a printer).

Ramjet":3qvejzlk said:
I don't over complicate it .... no buyers agreement. Don't hold rabbits , wont take them back either .... Cash & carry only , pedigrees upon request (via email since I don't have a printer).

Same here. I actually charge for pedigrees since I don't have the software and have to put them together manually - they go to the buyer via email after the fact. Since I sell meat rabbits to folks wanting to raise their own meat rabbits, I rarely get a request for a pedigree. (They're quality animals, mind you. But papers don't make a good meat rabbit.)

I make it a point to tell buyers that I will not take any rabbits back. Period. No refunds, either. It's also stated on all of the printed materials I give a customer and it's posted in the barn as well.

Just know that once that rabbit leaves with the new owner, it's no longer your responsibility and whatever happens to it after that is beyond your control.

Ramjet":yh1gls6i said:

Same here. I provide care instructions to those who want them, the RT website, and some food for transitioning. Oh, and a business card with contact info for questions (has been used once).

SuburbanHomesteader":2dhtbqf7 said:
Same here. I actually charge for pedigrees since I don't have the software and have to put them together manually - they go to the buyer via email after the fact. Since I sell meat rabbits to folks wanting to raise their own meat rabbits, I rarely get a request for a pedigree. (They're quality animals, mind you. But papers don't make a good meat rabbit.)

I make it a point to tell buyers that I will not take any rabbits back. Period. No refunds, either. It's also stated on all of the printed materials I give a customer and it's posted in the barn as well.

Just know that once that rabbit leaves with the new owner, it's no longer your responsibility and whatever happens to it after that is beyond your control.

^^ Yeah , that^^

Marinea":2dhtbqf7 said:
Same here. I provide care instructions to those who want them, the RT website, and some food for transitioning. Oh, and a business card with contact info for questions (has been used once).

The one thing I do is tell after the fact "service" , most times I have conversed with a potential buyer multiple times , I tell them to retain my contact info if they need further advise / help.
I've had several buyers contact me even months later to ask questions or attain more bunnies.
But they know - No returns , no refunds. Just too much risk involved for me to take back an animal.

I also send the rabbit out with transition food and tell the buyers what I feed.

Latest posts

Back