Register

**Updated Hand Feeding Formula**

Addressing the special needs of the breeding doe and her kits. Includes nutrition, gestation, nest boxes and materials, and tips to ensure survival of the young.
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 56,200.00

Re: **Updated Hand Feeding Formula**

Post Number:#16  Unread postby Miss M » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:47 pm

Good, so the issue is with cow's milk, not cow's colostrum. That is good to know!

And YES, don't hand feed if you don't have to! But if the kits are going hungry, and you're not going to put them down, it's great to have a formula to run to. :)

It's great to hear that all the bunnies are still doing well, Homer!
Sithrah Farm - http://sithrahfarm.com/

We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
- James Madison

The following user would like to thank Miss M for this post
Homer

Site Supporter
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 8,877.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby Homer » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:56 am

Miss M wrote:Good, so the issue is with cow's milk, not cow's colostrum. That is good to know!

That's my take on it. They still all seem to be doing well.

They are being weaned now. I gave them formula once in a saucer and they dove right in. Then other feeding times I've been watering it down more and more and they are loosing interest fast. They all devour they hay as soon as I put it out and pellets seem to just vanish. :lol: Of course they LOVE their oatmeal flakes.
Image :)

Guess I better get you guys some updated pictures. :oops:
Previous owner of the elusive and much sought after "Get Away With It" card.

http://bdbunnyranch.weebly.com/

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 2,538.00

Help?

Post Number:#18  Unread postby 2CrazyFools » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:06 am

*insert plethora of curse words*

So my beautiful Clover died this morning. :cry: I had no idea she was pregnant! She was bred RIGHT before we decided to treat everyone with penicillin as a "just in case," and like a week later she had blood in her waste catcher below the cage and I assumed she had a miscarry, being a first time mother and combined with the penicillin treatments. She didn't look pregnant and didn't show any signs of fur pulling or staching.

This morning I went out to feed the buns and... she's dead in her box. Very little fur pulled, and she died with pulled fur in her mouth. I felt her stomach and didn't feel any more kits but I'm going to open her up and see if there was a retained kit or something.

I now have 6 newborn babies inside in a box with some warm water bottles. Well, 3 with the warm water bottles, and 3 in my brassier. Which leads me to my post HERE. Disclaimer, I have never done this before but I am up to the task.

My only option at this point is Tractor Supply to purchase the items needed for milk. I am not finding any sort of pro-biotic when looking online and when I do a search for it Newborn Kitten milk comes up instead. I do know kitten milk has been used as bunny formula, but I'd prefer to use this formula listed out here. (Will this probiotic work? If so, same 1/4th teaspoon measurement?)

Also, I'm assuming from reading here that goat colostrum would be a better idea than cow? I have access to both. (What about goat kid replacement milk? Will it already have the colostrum and probiotic?)

Evaporated goats milk, I have powdered so I'm going to do what Miss M suggested about mixing it double strength.

The corn syrup, does it matter dark or light? (I figured most of these questions pertain to this post so it may help others when looking at this recipe.)

One last question, how often should I stimulate the kits to expel waste?

RIP beautiful lady. :weep:
Screen Shot 2017-03-16 at 10.01.56 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-03-16 at 10.01.56 AM.png (612.73 KiB) Viewed 354 times
Rabbitry ~ ImageImageImage ~ Recipes

Site Supporter

Post Number:#19  Unread postby Homer » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:09 am

The Bene-Bac, the pro-biotic I use can be purchased at Petsmart in a hurry or ordered cheaper from Dr. Fosters.

The colostrum powder I used was bovine. I've never seen goat colostrum but would think it would be ok. DON'T use kitten milk replacement. Some here have said they used it but I had 100% failure trying it.

Using this formula all of mine survived, some were even bred and had babies. There giant size has definitely carried over even though the mothers were not that great for size. So the down side is, they most likely will not be shining examples of the breed you are raising. You just can't replace mother's milk for growth.

As for making them potty I never did. Put them all back together and the wiggling around will take care of that for you. :)

One last thing. Don't get the formula to hot before feeding. Even using hot water for the heat source you can burn their throat then you have a bigger issue to deal with...don't ask. :oops: Had that happen to one and it was a pain to deal with.

The following user would like to thank Homer for this post
2CrazyFools

Site Supporter

Post Number:#20  Unread postby 2CrazyFools » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:13 am

Homer wrote:The Bene-Bac, the pro-biotic I use can be purchased at Petsmart in a hurry or ordered cheaper from Dr. Fosters.

Thanks! I'll swing by there when I'm headed to tractor supply.

Homer wrote:As for making them potty I never did. Put them all back together and the wiggling around will take care of that for you. :)

Even the newborns?

Homer wrote:One last thing. Don't get the formula to hot before feeding. Even using hot water for the heat source you can burn their throat then you have a bigger issue to deal with...don't ask. :oops: Had that happen to one and it was a pain to deal with.

How warm should I get it?

Thanks so much for the quick reply!!

Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 3,261.00

Post Number:#21  Unread postby SarniaTricia » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:26 am

Sorry for your loss! :(
Loosing a rabbit is always hard, but it is harder when it is a beloved breeding doe, that is more pet than livestock....

RIP Clover
Breeding Magpie Harlequin Rabbits for Meat and Pelts...
Working towards a farm to raise animals with respect and care.

https://www.facebook.com/BABRabbits/

Site Supporter

Post Number:#22  Unread postby Homer » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:28 am

2CrazyFools wrote:
Homer wrote:The Bene-Bac, the pro-biotic I use can be purchased at Petsmart in a hurry or ordered cheaper from Dr. Fosters.

Thanks! I'll swing by there when I'm headed to tractor supply. I found it with the dog and cat over the counter meds.

Homer wrote:As for making them potty I never did. Put them all back together and the wiggling around will take care of that for you. :)

Even the newborns? Not sure about that. Mine were a week old and just had to put my hand in with them and they started hunting for food again even though they just ate. Try rubbing their tummy with a warm damp cloth after feeding.

Homer wrote:One last thing. Don't get the formula to hot before feeding. Even using hot water for the heat source you can burn their throat then you have a bigger issue to deal with...don't ask. :oops: Had that happen to one and it was a pain to deal with.

How warm should I get it? Like feeding a baby, use your wrist and put a drop on it. If you feel a "little" heat you're good to go.

Thanks so much for the quick reply!!

Good luck! I'm off to work now but will check in a lunch time. ;)

2 years of membership2 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 6,207.00

Post Number:#23  Unread postby macksmom98 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:45 am

Best wishes keeping these little guys going! I never did anything to expel waste, even on my singleton kit. I think momma licking when feeding was enough. I just never worried about it, although we did rub/pet her some, and she liked it:)

Site Supporter

Post Number:#24  Unread postby 2CrazyFools » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:24 pm

Thanks everyone, I couldn't find any bene-bac probiotic at petsmart, even asked them and they said they must no longer carry it. So I ended up going with the goat probiotic that I linked in an earlier comment, currently heating the mixture up and about to give it a whirl.

I assume this stuff will be just fine if I keep the excess in the refrigerator? Not sure how much of it they are going to eat today.

Site Supporter

Post Number:#25  Unread postby Homer » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:42 pm

Goat milk doesn't keep all that well. I fed from the same batch all day then made a new one while waiting on the coffee to perk in the morning.

The following user would like to thank Homer for this post
2CrazyFools

BunnyBucks: 7,263.00

Post Number:#26  Unread postby Sagebrush » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:36 pm

Just like Homer said, change out the formula every day. Make fresh every morning, toss the remainder after the last feeding. Your local vet should have some over the counter that you can purchase if in a hurry.

The following user would like to thank Sagebrush for this post
2CrazyFools

BunnyBucks: 45.00

Post Number:#27  Unread postby Shea » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:59 pm

I just had an idea on how to keep the formula warm when feeding a whole litter. An insulated coffee mug! Just make sure to pre-heat with hot water then add your to temp formula and cover.

I thought this would be the best place to post this. Maybe someone will find it helpfull.

The following user would like to thank Shea for this post
Homer, MaggieJ, Nymphadora, shazza

Previous