How Perishable is Calf Mana?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knacker

Reaction score
Amazing enough I was able to purchase a bag of Calf Mana here (in Canada :shock: )a couple days ago and I am curious when it says "perishable", are they applying the term like any other commercial feed? I threw the bag out and am presently storing the contents in a Rubbermaid like I do for my rabbit rations. I can't find anything on Mana's website regarding expiration.

I know some here are against it or have had bad experiences with it in their rabbitry's but I wanted to see if it works for myself. Unfortunately the store only had big bags so storage will be crucial.

BOSS is "crack" to my rabbits but I felt this supplement could add more nutrients to my does and kits, speed up weight gain and in the long run prove to be more convenient than offering other supplements.

Thank you

While a typical pellet feed has a 3 month shelf life, the Calf Manna Pellet supplement has a 1 year shelf life. Pretty sure I read that on their site. I used it for several months and did not notice enough results to continue use. Sounds great, but weight gains were very similar to before the calf manna.

I only use a pinch of it at a time as a treat to my does after they lift for a successful breeding (my final attempt at conditioning the jerks ;))
I might start using it right after they've kindled as directed on their website but still waiting for that to happen again to try.

But mine stretches a very long time. I put mine in a sealed container vs the bag. I follow the 1yr rule as that was the guide I saw online as well. So far so good @ color and smell.

Thanks.

After 2 days BOSS is still the preferred supplement. My herd races around their cages until I give them a garnish.

I use calf manna for a supplement for any that I am needing weight on. Mine act like it is crack after they have gotten if for a bit. It really helps the does that have huge litters to be able to keep up and have enough milk and not drop weight.

It is also good for ones that are not eating well after a transition. They will almost always eat it even if they won't eat anything else. So when I transittion a new rabbit it and they are not acclimating to the new brand of pellets then I add the calf manna. Even if they eat just a little bit the protein is so high that with just grass and the calf manna I can get them switched over to a new pellet with out a gut issue.

Teton Peak":zbia7y5j said:
I use calf manna for a supplement for any that I am needing weight on. Mine act like it is crack after they have gotten if for a bit. It really helps the does that have huge litters to be able to keep up and have enough milk and not drop weight.

It is also good for ones that are not eating well after a transition. They will almost always eat it even if they won't eat anything else. So when I transittion a new rabbit it and they are not acclimating to the new brand of pellets then I add the calf manna. Even if they eat just a little bit the protein is so high that with just grass and the calf manna I can get them switched over to a new pellet with out a gut issue.

I use it for this too. Even with my resident does every now and then one just seems slightly off their feed for a day (ate some just not at all as much as they should) I will wait another day to see if they'll eat more on their own and if not I'll sprinkle a little bit on their pellets and sure enough it will all be gone the next day every time and doe will be back to normal. My best guess is they got spooked or just felt "off" and then needed a nudge to get their appetite back. It also works extremely well for transitioning newcomers to their new home and feed. Timid buns suddenly become a lot more friendly after I offer them this on the palm of my hand (I wait until they take a few bites then put the rest on their food. This gets them used to me AND the new feed)

Back