New Angora Owner

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbandbunny

Reaction score
Hello! I am new here and a new angora owner! I have a few questions and tried searching the archives for answers (and the rest of the Internet) but I thought I'd create a new thread to get some more personalized answers for our situation.

So! My husband has wanted angora rabbits for a while and in early December we got our first one from a breeder. He was about 3 months old at the time and in great condition. My husband LOVES him! Fast forward to this week and my husband brought home an angora that needed to be rescued. It was a bit of a shock. I am all for rescuing and we can definitely do it... I just also happen to have a very active 1 year old son.

Anyway, with the rescued one we've noticed a few problems. He seems to be an English angora and has a very matted face. We couldn't find his eyes! We have trimmed a bit of it but are nervous about cutting his whiskers. What would you guys recommend? I think it's better to clip whiskers once and then continue to upkeep in the future so we won't have to do it ever again.

The other problem is that his pee is very milky. Does this indicate bladder sludge? Is there a way to remedy bladder sludge? We do have a vet visit scheduled but wanted to see if there is anything I can start in the meantime.

Thanks for any help! :)

Start putting Apple Cider Vinegar in his water (1 tbsp per gallon at first and then work up to 3 tbsp a gallon gradually) That should help some with the sludgy urine.
Any pictures of what you're dealing with with the face? That might help a lot in figuring out what it is you're dealing with exactly.

When I get a matted bun like that I clip everything as close to the skin as possible, though usually not the whiskers themselves. Do as much as you feel comfortable, and it might be beneficial if you always keep that face trimmed.

Also @ sludgy pee, I forgot to mention to watch your alfalfa, it could be a sign he's getting too much calcium. If you aren't feeding alfalfa though, previous owners may have been and he just needs time to clear it out of his system. Sludgy pee can be nutritional, bacterial, and/or genetic so if less calcium/a more proper diet and ACV doesn't correct it it might be genetic for him (It took my last sludgy buck weeks to clear up after I took him in, by the time he was off quarantine though, he was fine.)

Latest posts

Back