Seller has the right to refuse sale

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
So for the past two days I've had a person chatting with me... generally LATE at night (so 11pm to midnight). have to admit that some of the messaging back and forth irritated me. I'd say a doe could be bred immediately and he would say.. so when is that? Or that I could deliver rabbit Wednesday 7-8 in the evening.. so does that mean at night???? It's like HELLO???
So that stuff might colour my perception a bit. (though I've developed a strong tolerance for poor communication skills)

Wants a rabbit. Maybe wants two rabbits. Dithers back and forth. Finally makes a decision. Has a buck, wants a doe, possibly two to go with him.

We set up a delivery time....
Next day that delivery time changes.. can be another time???

Said I'll be in his area on Wednesday night...he wasn't happy but hey it is what it is.

Today he's texting me ALL DAY LONG.. like every 5-10 minutes. Decided he wants something different and can I come tonight. If I don't respond I get a HUH or ???? or HEY Answer me.

I'm getting FED UP. It's errand running around and go to the doctor day... it's not like I'm not busy and I told him so but made ZERO difference.

Told him no sale, getting tired of his pushiness.

His response "i'm 12 years old and I'm really excited about getting another bunny."

My response was.. OH.. so get your PARENTS to call me and we'll set something up.

Things progressed from there... DOWNHILL.

I told him. I am not delivering a rabbit out in the country on a snowy night with slippery roads. Simply not happening. AND no parental contact. NOT selling a rabbit.

He persisted.

I SAID again NOT selling a rabbit with no parental contact and NOT selling a pregnant doe to a 12 year old kid.

his response was "i've had LOTS Of rabbits in my life. Pregnant, not pregnant. Loads of experience".

I simply said "no sale. Not doing it."

He got angry.

I just didn't believe him.
12 years old.
Up at midnight messaging about rabbits.
Setting up an initial drop off time at 1000 on a Monday morning.
offering me big bucks to deliver a rabbit, then lowballing on prices.
Texting all day long without a break. (I get regular breaks in school to text he said) (ALL DAY?? REALLY?)
Insisting I answer him immediately.
Telling me he wants a companion for his buck.
Then telling me afterwards that he has loads of experience raising all kinds of rabbits himself.

I just don't wanna. It sounds "off" to me.. but perhaps I'm missing something.
Can a 12 year old honestly have that much experience?
Can he really text me all day from school without that being a problem?

Am I so wrong in my perception of things? I can't conceive of a 12 year old regularly being up at midnight... and his parents still haven't called me).....

Go with your gut. Talk to a parent. If he set up a legitimate meet,I'd think they would have to be involved-he's not driving himself.

Something seems off.

Sounds very fishy to me, I would have dropped out long before that.

This kids parents - and I do think it is a kid - some just have too much free time on their hands and not enough supervision - need to know what he is up to for his own safety, wether they do anything about it :shrug:

I have never had that sort of thing work out well...
now-a-days, I would never sell to a child unless they bring parents , or I at least talk to the parents before the sale.
--- An acquaintance, eager for sales, and new to pet rabbit breeding, sold a rabbit to a early teen "child" ,- had an angry call from the kids "parent" a week or two later - when "the parent" noticed a bad smell, rabbit poop in the kids room, and then -- found the rabbit--- no thanks...

Something seems off. I mean as myself being a youth breeder I contact people about sale rabbits but my parents have nothing to do with the rabbits whatsoever unless they drive me shows. I often make the call on a rabbit myself and buy it if I like it but without a parent involved so many things can go wrong.

Just block the number and move on. For all you know it's some AR nut trying to get to you. Like Dood, I'd have got rid of that "one" a long time ago. Don't let it mess with you.

Stand firm and don't do it, Ladysown!

If you can block the texts, so much the better. If not, ignore them, no matter what provocation this person offers. You are under no obligation to sell rabbits to people who send up red flags. Just say NO.

At 12 I could type a coherent email and was patient for replies and polite. I had had rabbits for 7 years by then. My parents were very involved though and always checked rabbits before I bought them with my own money. Some kids don't have that much supervision. Whether he's a kid or not, I wouldn't make the sale unless a parent calls you.

I am. I am tempted to say come talk to me in the spring but there has been one too many inconsistency for me to trust anything from him at this point...

It's too bad as I've helped some great youngsters get a good start in bunnies...

Latest posts

Back