Rabbit Living with chickens?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AprilW":3ppgcp3u said:
Not sure who you were asking about wire. Mine is this from Tractor Supply: http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produc ... n-x-100-ft

Wire spacing is 2x4" and I ran a 2' high strand of chicken wire around the bottom so young bunnies can't squeeze through.

I was asking you and Preitler. Thank you for your help. My run will have a roof to prevent ariel pretitors. Thank you everyone for your help and making me change my mind about the chicken coop. I'm sure I will talk to you soon in the spring about all of my questions about my bunny! Thank you!

AprilW":2p17h6h7 said:
Flemish, I keep my Harlequins in a 16x16ft colony pen. Pictures of it below.

colony_zpshuqsctzr.png

I have dog houses bedded with straw for shelter. My rabbits have plenty of space to run, play, and dig. I did not put any wire over the pen floor or dig the surrounding wire into the ground. I've used this set up for several months and have had no issues with rabbits trying to dig out. A set up similar to this or perhaps a chicken coop design just for the rabbit might be of interest to you.

Oh this is cute!!!

My harlis have been very different than my commercial buns in temperament. I've had a hunch they would make good colony rabbits for a while now. It's too bad there is already lethal amounts of cocci present in my soil, so having them on the ground really isn't possible here. :( I'm still trying to figure out how to build a colony pen mostly out of wire for sanitation and disease protection, but also large enough to allow human access for cleaning and maintenance.

Some predator ate a bunch of my quail right through chicken wire last fall. Grabbed the birds and left nothing but a circle of gore and a few bones. Poor stupid birds didn't have the sense to move away from the wire.

I covered the first three feet with 1/2 in by 1/2 in hardware cloth and nothing has been able to get it's fingers in since.

I have done some colony experiments, one experiment was planting a few big clumps of garlic chives in a corner of the "rabbit pasture" - the experiment was only for one season, but it seemed to "remedy" all coccidiosis symptoms in both young and older rabbits.

michaels4gardens":3pt83328 said:
I have done some colony experiments, one experiment was planting a few big clumps of garlic chives in a corner of the "rabbit pasture" - the experiment was only for one season, but it seemed to "remedy" all coccidiosis symptoms in both young and older rabbits.

That is interesting and certainly worth experimenting with.
I am of the opinion that rabbits can definitely self medicate to some degree.

I think, if I were to try something like that, I'd have several healthy plants grown in pots and rotate them into and out of the colony pen, so that the rabbits could have a constant fresh supply and not be at as much risk for destroying their medicine.

Actually... a variety of natural wormers could be used.

Zass":g7pm5j6b said:
Oh this is cute!!!

My harlis have been very different than my commercial buns in temperament. I've had a hunch they would make good colony rabbits for a while now. It's too bad there is already lethal amounts of cocci present in my soil, so having them on the ground really isn't possible here. :( I'm still trying to figure out how to build a colony pen mostly out of wire for sanitation and disease protection, but also large enough to allow human access for cleaning and maintenance.

I have been contemplating a colony set up for my does for the summer months. It would be so much more convenient for them to be able to dig to regulate their temp than me having to supply ice to every cage every day .... and it would allow me more space for grow outs too .... but I know I have lethal levels of cocci in the soil as too , I have to treat my dogs on a monthly basis.

My other alternative is a climate controlled rabbitry but that's going to take significant funds and design ....

Zass":7ndeov5l said:
michaels4gardens":7ndeov5l said:

That is interesting and certainly worth experimenting with.
I am of the opinion that rabbits can definitely self medicate to some degree.

I think, if I were to try something like that, I'd have several healthy plants grown in pots and rotate them into and out of the colony pen, so that the rabbits could have a constant fresh supply and not be at as much risk for destroying their medicine.

Actually... a variety of natural wormers could be used.

My "rabbit pasture" was a 50 x 100 chain-link fenced yard, with a lawn, and a lot of other "safe" plants [including mulberry trees]. I had a known coccidiosis problem in that yard. -- and-- the young rabbits can get through chain-link sometimes...

_

Back