Register

Proportions of cake mix vs. plaster of paris? (rat control)

Keeping your rabbits safe from predatory animals, pests, and people.
Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Belgium
BunnyBucks: 3,207.00

Proportions of cake mix vs. plaster of paris? (rat control)

Post Number:#1  Unread postby DogCatMom » Mon May 05, 2014 8:23 pm

Per the advice in this thread, I wonder whether anyone ever actually mixed cake mix + plaster of paris together and "fed" it to rats (whether or not in cupcake papers ;) ).

50/50? 75/25? If so, 75% of which vs. 25% of the other?

Just stir 'em together, no water; right? The rat provides the...ah...water?

I plan to put jar lids of the stuff on the top of my compost *inside* my compost bin. Which is where I saw The Rat while working in the garden a couple of days ago. :angry: I have now acquired the necessary ingredients and would like to know whether anyone has had successful experience with this combo, or suggestions of what proportions will *not* work based on experience.

If there are no suggestions, I'll just start tomorrow with 50/50 by volume (i.e., 1/4 cup each or similar).

Thank you! :)

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Canada
BunnyBucks: 16,745.00

Re: Proportions of cake mix vs. plaster of paris? (rat contr

Post Number:#2  Unread postby 3mina » Mon May 05, 2014 11:54 pm

Everything I've read says 50/50. I have no practical experience since there are no rats here. I have decided to try this the next time I see mice though
Rex and American Sables

Site Admin
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 58,103.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby MaggieJ » Tue May 06, 2014 6:41 am

I've never used cake mix, but a long time ago I made a mix of icing sugar and plaster of paris for rats. Cake mix should work just as well.

The mix I used seemed to work although I don't remember finding dead ones. I think I mixed it 50/50.

The main thing to remember is to keep it dry and to mix the two items together really thoroughly. I recommend using large jars laid on their sides in the compost bin rather than lids.

Site Supporter
6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 3,674.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby caroline » Tue May 06, 2014 9:09 am

I tried this. Made LOTS and put in ziplock bags inside tubes so other animals, like ducks and dogs, would not get it. The rats must have had plenty to eat since they the bags are still there YEARS later :(. The only thing that has seemed to wok here for rat control is setting traps and putting them out in the rabbityr EVERY nihgt & then picking them up in the morning so the ducks won't set them off.
(\__/)(\(\ (Y) () ()
(='.'=)(-.-)('.')(^;^)
(")_(")(")(")(")(")(")(")
Rancho Madonna Rex Rabbits ~ Love that brown gene!

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 1,325.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby Ole Mule » Tue May 06, 2014 10:54 am

1 to 1 and mix with milk. IE... 1 pound to 1 pound or 1 tablespoon to 1 tablespoon and so forth.

Site Supporter
2 years of membership2 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 6,283.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby EnglishSpot » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:12 pm

Mix with milk???

Icing sugar--that's also know as powdered sugar, confectioner's sugar?

One to one ratio--check.

I wonder since rats are on the lookout for protein and fats, maybe mix the plaster with butter? Hmm, then they'd turn into hard butter crumbles.... which I don't think would work.
"Not doing anything is still making a choice."

Check out my rabbitry! http://www.facebook.com/SoaringGooseRabbits/

New Blog: https://soaringgooserabbits.wordpress.com/

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 34,705.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby akane » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:14 pm

You don't need a liquid ingredient. It will just make you have to replace the stuff faster as it dries out and it provides the critters with water when what you want is to dehydrate them. I found the peanut butter mix didn't work and I think the reason was that it countered some of the effects of the plaster with it being moist and oily. The more that sticks to the intestines the faster it works. You might get better results adding some extra sugar with the cake mix. Usually 50/50 ratios are used of other ingredients to plaster. Rotating ingredients is a good idea because they seem to either get wise of your trick or just get bored with this food that isn't very useful. Then not all of them eat enough. I don't know why anyone would need larger quantities than the plaster comes in but someone said cement mix works too.
http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/takakageri/library/
In order to save myself I must destroy first the me I was told to be -The Dreamer

United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 56,220.00

Post Number:#8  Unread postby Miss M » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:42 pm

I agree, I'm pretty sure you're supposed to use it dry and allow the rat to provide the moisture so it turns solid inside the rat.
Sithrah Farm - http://sithrahfarm.com/

We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
- James Madison