Rat problem

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiny Buns

Reaction score
We are encountering a serious rat problem in our residential area of town. I've put out snap traps, poison and live traps but unless the entire neighbourhood is on board and galvanized against the problem, we fight a losing battle. I've considered adopting an outdoor cat but worry food left out for it will attract even more rats. I don't know. Any thoughts?

is there someone in the neighborhood creating a bigger issue than the others? Like garbage, piles of wood, or food stuffs being left out in their yard? I'd keep my eyes peeled for that and contact code enforcement or local environmental health authorities (IDK what you guys have in Canada that is like those) they can force them to clean up the mess and with it cleaned up there is less for rats to hide in or feed on. You could also try to get the neighborhood on board that way or by passing out flyers and especially if you offer lending them traps to use on their own parcels (at least for next door neighbor's who likely feel the same as you but have no money to fix it)

Sali":jxkt85wc said:
is there someone in the neighborhood creating a bigger issue than the others? Like garbage, piles of wood, or food stuffs being left out in their yard? I'd keep my eyes peeled for that and contact code enforcement or local environmental health authorities (IDK what you guys have in Canada that is like those) they can force them to clean up the mess and with it cleaned up there is less for rats to hide in or feed on. You could also try to get the neighborhood on board that way or by passing out flyers and especially if you offer lending them traps to use on their own parcels (at least for next door neighbor's who likely feel the same as you but have no money to fix it)

Great ideas if only :)

Bylaw's stand is what happens on city property, the city deals with. Private property is a private problem. I live in a fairly nice neighbourhood with wood piles and compost in most yards. Some are sealed up, some are not. Unless it's an eyesore in the front, bylaw doesn't touch it.

As for getting the neighbourhood on board....there is a social sigma attached to rats and so far, everyone is 'blind' to the problem. "Oh maybe in your yard or Toms yard etc, but not MY yard."

And truthfully I can't afford to buy traps for everyone.

Maybe I'll just take yet another stab at calling the city. Hey maybe if I get nowhere my next call will be the newspaper. No one likes bad press ;)

Our city just distributed big closed cans to the neighborhood and the rat problem has EXPLODED. There's an older fellow across the street who would store tiny shopping bags of garbage on his porch, but now with the mandatory cans, those rats have gone all over the 'hood. We've not had a rat burrow on our property in the five years prior to October and now I'm dealing with multiple rats in multiple days. We've got a slew of feral neighborhood cats, but I want to get rid of them too!! Crapping in my flowerbeds!! The whole situation makes me mad.

So far I've got traps, some bait, glue pads, and I'm about to search the board for someone's homemade rat bait of cake powder and plaster mixed.

Back