Register

Made my first bucket mouse trap...

Keeping your rabbits safe from predatory animals, pests, and people.
Site Supporter
1 year of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 9,842.00

Made my first bucket mouse trap...

Post Number:#1  Unread postby heritage » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:33 pm

Does it look like it will work? I used a taller trash can (well, taller than a bucket anyway) b/c I figured the water will freeze tonight, so not sure what to do about that. If nothing else maybe it will still be too tall for them to jump out?? There are a bunch of the little buggers in our building and they are making an absolute mess of it (not to mention destroying things as well! Lost my inflatable kayak to the cusses).

(ignore the disgusting bucket - it had feed in it, then got flipped upside down so I guess the dust that was left molded)

When I went out to take the pic there was a mouse that ran off from the base of the ramp - hopefully a good sign!

Homeschool mom of 4 little ones - 9, 7, 5, & 3!

Our Four Ring Farmstead journey - with not quite 20 chickens of various breeds and 7 rabbits - and maybe a "few" popples every now and then... plus some feeble attempts at gardening. Officially registered as Four Ring Rabbitry!

Pampered Chef anyone? It's for a good cause! https://www.pamperedchef.com/pws/rmcoley

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 87,493.00

Re: Made my first bucket mouse trap...

Post Number:#2  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:48 pm

LOVE the arrow, lol!!! :lol:

I think the ramp is supposed to be across from the pipe so they have to jump onto it. :?

As for freezing, if no other animals can access the bucket, you can use antifreeze. I saw that recommended on a site somewhere for when bucket traps are used in vacation homes- the antifreeze also prevents them from decomposing and stinking up the area.
Victory Garden Rabbits

Proud new owner of the highly coveted Get-away-with-it-card! (Homer's gift to me in a feeble attempt to curry favor and avoid the ban hammer.)

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. - Thomas Jefferson

2 years of membership2 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 5,176.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby wamplercathy » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:35 pm

Here's the one I made a few days back.

001 (500x375).jpg
001 (500x375).jpg (93.62 KiB) Viewed 394 times

003 (500x375).jpg
003 (500x375).jpg (89.36 KiB) Viewed 394 times

I didn't have any antifreeze so went with homemade poison. :twisted:
And the little buggers have been at it a lot. The more they fall in, the more they have to clean themselves = more poison ingested. :twisted: :happy2: :twisted:

1 year of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 2,292.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby Deer Heart » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:07 pm

I feel like the toilet paper rolls might collapse under use and then stop rolling or give them something to get a grip on (already it looks like the oils from the peanutbutter are soaking through). But other than that I can't wait to see your kill count :D

Site Admin
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 55,633.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby MaggieJ » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:08 pm

Cathy, your bucket is too full. If it is only half-filled, they cannot touch bottom nor can they jump out. So they drown, anti-freeze or no.

1 year of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 2,292.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby Deer Heart » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:56 pm

MaggieJ wrote:Cathy, your bucket is too full. If it is only half-filled, they cannot touch bottom nor can they jump out. So they drown, anti-freeze or no.

It looks empty in the first picture with a line of crust that seems about half-way to me then in the second picture looks like an inch of some milky white substance - plaster? My eyes playing tricks on me now? Oh dear.

Site Supporter
1 year of membership

Post Number:#7  Unread postby heritage » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:30 pm

Thanks for the suggestions! I was using what I had at the time, I will see about getting a can or bottle from someone tomorrow (or maybe just serve the kids some mandarin oranges or something ;) ). I asked DH if he wanted to see my redneck mouse trap and he said "Oh, I watched the video you sent this afternoon" - Oh, no, I actually made one! Props and a high five from the hubby :lol:

Our Four Ring Farmstead journey - with not quite 20 chickens of various breeds and 7 rabbits - and maybe a "few" popples every now and then... plus some feeble attempts at gardening. Officially registered as Four Ring Rabbitry!

Pampered Chef anyone? It's for a good cause! https://www.pamperedchef.com/pws/rmcoley

Site Supporter
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Austria
BunnyBucks: 3,131.00

Post Number:#8  Unread postby Preitler » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:52 am

I figured the water will freeze tonight, so not sure what to do about that.

Saturate it with salt. That isn't toxic, if any other critters are around.
A good day ain't got no rain, a bad day is when I lie in bed and think of things that might have been...

Site Supporter
1 year of membership

Post Number:#9  Unread postby heritage » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:51 am

Preitler wrote:
I figured the water will freeze tonight, so not sure what to do about that.

Saturate it with salt. That isn't toxic, if any other critters are around.

I contemplated salt... then totally forgot about it :lol: :oops:

Post Number:#10  Unread postby wamplercathy » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:42 pm

It's a 5 gal bucket and only has a couple inches of dusty poison. If I put water in it now it would freeze and then the rodents would have an ice rink. They fall in, flail about a little, realize they landed in sugary goodness :twisted: , eat a little and jump out, then clean themselves, ingesting more poison :twisted: , and then disappear and never return. :P

Well that's the plan for now. When I get some $$ I'll get some antifreeze and then they'll drown. :twisted: :P :lol: :lol: When it warms up enough I'll replace the poison with water. Just wanted some thing deadly at the bottom. DH said we could put the cat in it. :twisted: :lol: :? Set mouse traps :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol:

1 year of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 2,248.00

Post Number:#11  Unread postby Tiny Buns » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:08 pm

Will this attract rats? Our issue is with them :(

Post Number:#12  Unread postby wamplercathy » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:33 pm

My experience with rodents is peanut butter is irresistible. Brother's pet rat loved it enough to escape her cage and steal the PB jar and hide with it. :evil: But she would also come when called. Oh and dog and cat food. Peanut would wind up in the dogs bowl too. Our GSD would kill wild rats but would share her food bowl with Peanut. Animals are weird that way.

Anyways the water would need to be slightly deeper. I was thinking about rolling balls of peanut butter in the poison that way they'll eat more of it. But it should work for rats too. The mice we got are just about rat size and it is working so far.

The following user would like to thank wamplercathy for this post
Tiny Buns