Made my first bucket mouse trap...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does it look like it will work? I used a taller trash can (well, taller than a bucket anyway) b/c I figured the water will freeze tonight, so not sure what to do about that. If nothing else maybe it will still be too tall for them to jump out?? There are a bunch of the little buggers in our building and they are making an absolute mess of it (not to mention destroying things as well! Lost my inflatable kayak to the cusses).

(ignore the disgusting bucket - it had feed in it, then got flipped upside down so I guess the dust that was left molded)

When I went out to take the pic there was a mouse that ran off from the base of the ramp - hopefully a good sign!

LOVE the arrow, lol!!! :lol:

I think the ramp is supposed to be across from the pipe so they have to jump onto it. :?

As for freezing, if no other animals can access the bucket, you can use antifreeze. I saw that recommended on a site somewhere for when bucket traps are used in vacation homes- the antifreeze also prevents them from decomposing and stinking up the area.

Here's the one I made a few days back.

001 (500x375).jpg
003 (500x375).jpg

I didn't have any antifreeze so went with homemade poison. :twisted:
And the little buggers have been at it a lot. The more they fall in, the more they have to clean themselves = more poison ingested. :twisted: :happy2: :twisted:

I feel like the toilet paper rolls might collapse under use and then stop rolling or give them something to get a grip on (already it looks like the oils from the peanutbutter are soaking through). But other than that I can't wait to see your kill count :D

MaggieJ":3bin5p6e said:
Cathy, your bucket is too full. If it is only half-filled, they cannot touch bottom nor can they jump out. So they drown, anti-freeze or no.

It looks empty in the first picture with a line of crust that seems about half-way to me then in the second picture looks like an inch of some milky white substance - plaster? My eyes playing tricks on me now? Oh dear.

Thanks for the suggestions! I was using what I had at the time, I will see about getting a can or bottle from someone tomorrow (or maybe just serve the kids some mandarin oranges or something ;) ). I asked DH if he wanted to see my redneck mouse trap and he said "Oh, I watched the video you sent this afternoon" - Oh, no, I actually made one! Props and a high five from the hubby :lol:

It's a 5 gal bucket and only has a couple inches of dusty poison. If I put water in it now it would freeze and then the rodents would have an ice rink. They fall in, flail about a little, realize they landed in sugary goodness :twisted: , eat a little and jump out, then clean themselves, ingesting more poison :twisted: , and then disappear and never return. :p

Well that's the plan for now. When I get some $$ I'll get some antifreeze and then they'll drown. :twisted: :p :lol: :lol: When it warms up enough I'll replace the poison with water. Just wanted some thing deadly at the bottom. DH said we could put the cat in it. :twisted: :lol: :? Set mouse traps :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol:

My experience with rodents is peanut butter is irresistible. Brother's pet rat loved it enough to escape her cage and steal the PB jar and hide with it. :evil: But she would also come when called. Oh and dog and cat food. Peanut would wind up in the dogs bowl too. Our GSD would kill wild rats but would share her food bowl with Peanut. Animals are weird that way.

Anyways the water would need to be slightly deeper. I was thinking about rolling balls of peanut butter in the poison that way they'll eat more of it. But it should work for rats too. The mice we got are just about rat size and it is working so far.

Latest posts

Back