Hunger Strike?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniac

Reaction score
I just received 4 rabbits to start my rabbitry and while 3 of them are eating and drinking fine. One doe is not eating or drinking well at all. She seems to be nibbling at the hay I put in her cage for warmth, but she is not eating the pellets and drinking very little.

Is this normal after a stressful move from her previous rabbitry? I'm a bit concerned because the temp last night dipped down to 9 degrees and she is not eating...

:yeahthat:

Exactly what Homer said. I had the same thing happen when we got our first pair of rabbits. All, but 1 buck was doing great. Give her the electrolyte solution, and something I also gave my buck to help was Old Fashioned Oatmeal. Helps with any possible stress diarrhea, and is a nice treat for them to munch on!

:good-luck:

Forgot to add that if she still refuses to eat, try some Parsley. Dried, or fresh is fine. Just a little bit to start, it is an appetite booster.

Well as it turns out, she is eating the hay at a fair clip, just not eating pellets and drinking quite a bit less than I would expect. After my original post this morning, I gave her more hay and a water bowl of water instead of just the water bottle, she wouldn't drink from the bottle at first (new heated bottle and she was drinking from a bowl before) I had baited her to the new water bottle with banana and she was less than interested, but she did seem to catch on after a day or so, but then she seemed to stop drinking or eating.

We'll see when I get home if she drank from the water bowl and how much hay she ate.

I did finally find a source for her current feed and will be getting it today so she can just stay on her original feed.

That's great that she is eating the hay. :) Stopping eating or drinking is an emergency with rabbits.

You may be able to get her to accept the bottle over time, if that is your preference.

You should be able to switch her over to your feed, she just may want more time to do it than everybunny else. :)

So last night I put fresh feed in her feeder, did not give her more hay and removed the frozen water bowl. This morning she had eaten nearly all 6oz of her food and drank probably 12oz of water overnight!

I also picked up 100lbs of their feed yesterday so I don't need to worry about blending their feed now so she got 100% of her original feed last night, which might have been the cause of the hunger strike (blending new feed).

I think I can stop holding my breath and calm down now, I was getting really worried about her!

Latest posts

Back