frozen?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frosted Rabbits

Reaction score
Maggie, If I find a real good buy on veggies, can I freeze them and feed later? I also ask this because my refrigerator does not always keep the veggies 'crisp'= they get kinda hard---= I have already lost track of how many times I have found my milk and eggs frozen-- no matter how I set the thermostat

I've heard it said that freezing vegetables for rabbits is a bad idea. We had this discussion as well about alfalfa freezing in the pasture. I simply do not know the answer.

Drying is a better bet for surplus veggies, IMO. Watch for a dehydrator at your local thrift store or at yard sales.

you can also dry in the oven or a toaster oven - set it to the lowest heat - flip them - turn it off - restart for about 30 minutes of every hour /hour and a half ...

I think it would depend on the veggie. I would not freeze lettuce or most other leafy vegetables but we buy frozen mixes of peas, corn, broccoli, asparagas, etc.. for the birds and sugar gliders. We also freeze snap peas, melon, mint, cilantro, and other garden herbs. Birds and gliders are far more sensitive than rabbits to things. Freezing damages less nutrients than drying will.

Back