Coconuts!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't see why not.
I feed mine hickory nits nuts, acorns, and chestnuts.

They are very rich, so they would need to be treated like any other oily feed.
It could really pack the weight on, and too much may cause cocotrope cecotrope overproduction if overfed.

-numerous spelling errors corrected-

I have a billion coconut palms on my property and I feed all the baby cocos that fall onto the ground to my rabbits and they eat them, or chew them up.

Is this coconuts with the husk? Or just the coconut meat? I would feed the husk for sure (fiber) but I would feed the meat sparingly. You can take the meat and blend it in the blender and make coconut cream! I freeze that.

SoDak Thriver":3etc22mg said:
Zass":3etc22mg said:
...cocotrope overproduction...

So when cecotrope production is specifically related to coconut, it's called cocotrope? :lol:

Thanks for the answer. I think I will try a little coconut tomorrow, especially on the younger does to pack on some weight.

:lol: I fixed that up some. See what happens when I fail to re-read and edit my posts several dozen times. :p

Zass: I didn't even know what cecotrope was. I googled "cocotrope" and it came back with "Did you mean cecotrope?" I made myself look smarter than I am. :oops: :roll: When we don't over-edit, hilarity ensues.

Dayna: Funny thing, it was the husk that I was worried about, but I suspected they'd enjoy chewing it. I'll take your advice, scrape off the easy coconut meat and give them some husk to chew on. Blend and freeze the rest. Thanks!!

I open the coconut and pour the water into the blender. Then I scrape the coconut meat into there and blend. If you blend a short time you can strain the chunks and make coconut milk (you usually let that sit overnight before straining). If you want the coconut "creme" you just blend the heck out of the meat and the coco water until its a creamy yummy goodness. And use within a day or two or freeze. Coconuts that are out of the shell go bad quite quickly.

I go through a few cocos a week. I usually hack them open, drain the water for hubby (he loves it!). Then I open it up and eat a few chunks of the side that hangs towards the ground (thats the yummy sweeter side of the coconut flesh) and then feed the rest to the various animals.

Back