Mulberries!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alforddm

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
My father-in-law took me around this evening and showed me where most of the wild mulberries were on the property. There are at least 6 large trees. Best of all I found two saplings that I plan on transplanting. Yeah, I know I'm easily excited but fruit for me and leaves for the buns sounds like a win win to me. I may end up seeing if I can start several from cuttings as well.

:cheer2: :cheer2:

I'm growing out 2 mulberry trees that previous owners were probably chopping down every year. They just went crazy to 6' tall with no one cutting them back. Unfortunately they are in the fenceline which is not ideal but I'm not sure where else I'd put them in the yard anyway. A huge birch takes over what the dwarf apple and grapevine does not of the area that isn't set up for gardens.

Mulberries grow freely around here. The seeds from my neighbor's mulberry tree have been spread far and wide by birds. I get them sprouting all over my yard, which is great because I can get a lot of tender branches and leaves for my buns. I've even dried a few bags of leaves for later.

alforddm":3o37mion said:
My father-in-law took me around this evening and showed me where most of the wild mulberries were on the property. There are at least 6 large trees. Best of all I found two saplings that I plan on transplanting. Yeah, I know I'm easily excited but fruit for me and leaves for the buns sounds like a win win to me. I may end up seeing if I can start several from cuttings as well.

:cheer2: :cheer2:
one of my favorite feeds, rabbits, goats, cows, chickens, and even escargot snails, "helix aspersa" do very well eating Mulberry leaves. [the berries aren't bad either]

For those who live in town and want mulberries in their yard: You might consider white mulberries. Neighbors get pretty bent out of shape when birds eat berries from your yard and then crap mulberry stains on their white siding, white cars, picnic table, etc. :x

I didn't like those neighbors anyway and don't live there anymore, but if I had to do it over again.... :lol:

Yep. I have several large mulberry trees, and none of them fruit. After years of a tree with nasty staining berries all over the yard, I'm pretty happy.

Back