Sanitary?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oscar

Reaction score
So I don't have an exercise pen yet but am gonna ask for one for Christmas, anyway I do have an old chicken pen that has previously held pheasants. I guess what I want to know is is that going to make my rabbits sick, they are getting fat and need exercise but my yard isn't safe.

For how long are the pheasants gone, and what does the ground of the pen look like?

If it's bare earth you may want to consider Grumpys opinion here: post280243.html#p280243

Can't tell if coccidosis is an issue where you live, or whatever. I really don't know which and what percentage of rabbits are prone to get problems from that, lots of outdoor bunnies thrive anyway.
Things over here seem to be different in some points, never heard of that here, but meat mutts don't get a medical diagnose when they look sick :?

Bare earth, or gassy soil, coccidoses can still become an issue any place rabbits have contact with their own feces.
But, it's mostly a problem in humid areas.

I have a friend in CO that keeps her buns in a big outdoor colony, and says she's never seen cocci.

Here in PA, I had mine outside for most of a year with no issue. I placed one infected rabbit in there prior to butcher, but I let the pen sit empty for a month afterwards, so I thought it would be OK.

It must have been a particularly nasty strain, because what happened to the kits was brutal.

This is what livers looked like after two weeks exposure.
The siblings of those kits who had been kept in wire cages were fine.

So, I don't dare keep my buns on dirt(or grass) here, but other people sometimes can.

If you are nervous about the pen, feeding your buns more grass hay and less pellets can help trim them down, reduce your feed bill, and increase their likelihood of successful breeding.

Attachments

• sick livers.jpg
    sick livers.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 2,313
Zass":znjfjzx6 said:
Bare earth, or gassy soil, coccidoses can still become an issue any place rabbits have contact with their own feces.
But, it's mostly a problem in humid areas.

I have a friend in CO that keeps her buns in a big outdoor colony, and says she's never seen cocci.

Here in PA, I had mine outside for most of a year with no issue. I placed one infected rabbit in there prior to butcher, but I let the pen sit empty for a month afterwards, so I thought it would be OK.

It must have been a particularly nasty strain, because what happened to the kits was brutal.

This is what livers looked like after two weeks exposure.
The siblings of those kits who had been kept in wire cages were fine.

So, I don't dare keep my buns on dirt(or grass) here, but other people sometimes can.

If you are nervous about the pen, feeding your buns more grass hay and less pellets can help trim them down, reduce your feed bill, and increase their likelihood of successful breeding.

I agree, raising rabbits on dirt only works until a little coccidiosis is introduced, - it could come in from a passing bird, rat, or a little poop or dirt on a visitors shoes. It doesn't have to be introduced by an infected rabbit.

It's dirt pen and the birds have been gone for at least a couple of months and it has breed cold here but there is still chickens next door to the cage.

Aside from the coccidia issue, you also have the problem of digging.

You will need to create a barrier so they cannot dig. 2" x 4" field fencing laid on top of the dirt would be an affordable option.

Oscar":3sxkpvlc said:
How would I know if my rabbit had Cocci? :(

If your rabbit has a "poopy butt", or poop smears on their body anywhere,[and you have not "changed" the feed" ] - or, is "off feed" or "looking poorly" , or running a fever over 103, -- after being exposed to "contaminated dirt". or outside rabbits, --[or if these symptoms show up for no reason at all] -- you should consider treating to Coccidiosis , " immediately."

When in doubt, play it on the safe side. If you are really insisting on exercise why not let it run around around the kitchen or bathroom or a room that has tile so clean up will be easy. I would love to allow my rabbits to run but they get scared when they are out of their cage. They love to just lay around and chill all day. But that's why I got NZW, their not known to be very active. Plus I have no idea what is in our soil. And since there aren't really any preventative vaccines for rabbits I will gladly keep them in their cage safely off the ground.

Also if your rabbits are getting fat you need to cut back treats, and pellets. Here is a chart/website you might find handy.
http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/rabbit-weight.asp

Back