Cage Wire?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wamplercathy

Reaction score
I'm about out of cage wire and am looking at what I can find in my area. I was able to find Welded wire 14ga:
http://www.orschelnfarmhome.com/welded- ... 41072/cl1/

It has 2"x4" mesh wire. Normal cage wire is 1"x2" mesh wire. I raise NZWs and would use this strictly for adult rabbits or breeding does (with a 3"-4" tall baby saver around the bottom).

What are yalls' thoughts?

Not suitable for cage bottoms .... probably not suitable for the sides or top either.

I would never use it for the floor. :x But was hopping it would be good enough for the rest of the cage. Oh well I'll continue the search. I've found 16ga 1x1 wire and have used it but that gets very costly. The main companies, like KW, Bass, or klubertanz, is a pain in the wallet for a 4'long cage. Could order wire but again it's too costly for me.

Just might have to bite the bullet. :lol: :lol:

I used the wire we found in the in laws barn. It is 1"x 2 1/2" wire mesh but have no real idea what it's gauge is. Looks and feels overly thick. :? :shock: :? Is the wire spacing safe for a large rabbit?

I wouldn't be surprised if an adult rabbit couldn't get ahold of the wire and bend it -
and then get its head caught. You ever check out what they have at Menards?

Never mind - I looked online and only saw galvanized before welding. And none
of it was cheap. Looked like you had to buy 100-foot rolls.

You don't need 14g other than on the floor .... you can get away with 16 for the top & sides assuming its spaced correctly.

wamplercathy":1dufim4i said:
I would never use it for the floor. :x But was hopping it would be good enough for the rest of the cage. Oh well I'll continue the search. I've found 16ga 1x1 wire and have used it but that gets very costly. The main companies, like KW, Bass, or klubertanz, is a pain in the wallet for a 4'long cage. Could order wire but again it's too costly for me.

Just might have to bite the bullet. :lol: :lol:
Seeing where you're at, do you want to go for a drive? Kammalop is in Abilene, KS. You can pick it up there and save freight charges. http://www.kammalop.com/ Same wire as the "other" guys.

Kits can climb. Baby saver would keep nestlings in, but you would probably lose slightly older kits through the wire.

2x4 in would also allow a lot of space for predators to reach in.

The site you mentioned also have 1"X2" 14ga.

Cage Welded Wire 36 In. x 25 Ft. 14 Ga.

Model#: 433625

SKU #: 6321896

$36.99

Specifications
36 in. x 25 ft.
1 in. x 2 in. mesh
Durable

Description

Gard'n Fence Welded Wire 36 In. x 25 Ft. 14 Ga. is used for heavier fencing applications. It is durable, heavy and strong.

SuburbanHomesteader":1lftudxk said:
I wouldn't be surprised if an adult rabbit couldn't get ahold of the wire and bend it -
and then get its head caught. You ever check out what they have at Menards?

Never mind - I looked online and only saw galvanized before welding. And none
of it was cheap. Looked like you had to buy 100-foot rolls.

Tried there in the beginning but they didn't carry any thing bellow 18ga. Didn't even look online. So far lowes, orscheln, or tractor supply are the only ones that carry anything that might work. Thanks though.

-- Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:15 am --

Homer":1lftudxk said:
Seeing where you're at, do you want to go for a drive? Kammalop is in Abilene, KS. You can pick it up there and save freight charges. http://www.kammalop.com/ Same wire as the "other" guys.

That's over a 2hour drive but it might be worth looking into. Thanks
Ok never mind. Looked at the prices and could never afford one of their cage and didn't see any roll wire in the pdf. For the 30x36x18=$96.75 :x And it's still too small for a does cage. My current doe cages are 24Dx24Tx48L and I'll be adding in a second tier with cages of 24Dx18Tx48L. But thanks anyways. :lol: :lol:

-- Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:17 am --

alforddm":1lftudxk said:
Actually, according to their web site, Kammalop is in Sedalia, MO this weekend for a show.

It would still be a 2 hour drive. :lol: :lol: :lol: I love living in the stick, in till I need something and then :evil: :lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks.

-- Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:22 am --

a7736100":1lftudxk said:
The site you mentioned also have 1"X2" 14ga.

Cage Welded Wire 36 In. x 25 Ft. 14 Ga.

Model#: 433625

SKU #: 6321896

$36.99

Specifications
36 in. x 25 ft.
1 in. x 2 in. mesh
Durable

Description

Gard'n Fence Welded Wire 36 In. x 25 Ft. 14 Ga. is used for heavier fencing applications. It is durable, heavy and strong.

I did see that and it is a top contender. I wasn't looking for 14ga necessarily just want it to last. Was able to get the gauge on the wire I found and it is 14ga. When I look at the cages I built with it versus the cages I used 1x1 16ga, they look strong and lasting, the 16ga just looks weak and I don't know how well it will hold up to time.

Thank you everyone.

I have a couple hutches built from 2 x 4 wire. 18 gauge I believe with the normal bottom wire. These hutches are in my barn. They are functional but not my favorites. I wouldn't be comfortable having them in anything less secure than my barn due to the spacing, but they do work. If you use this type of wire I'd recommend making the front of the hutch, and/or door at least, out of regular rabbit wire since that is the hard use side of a hutch and the wider spacing of 2x4 makes it a bit flimsy.

alforddm":3uxe248p said:
Actually, according to their web site, Kammalop is in Sedaliall , MO this weekend for a show.
Yup they get around. They haul big trailers full of stuff to shows, free hauling if you prepay.

wamplercathy":3uxe248p said:
That's over a 2hour drive but it might be worth looking into. Thanks
Ok never mind. Looked at the prices and could never afford one of their cage and didn't see any roll wire in the pdf. For the 30x36x18=$96.75 :x And it's still too small for a does cage. My current doe cages are 24Dx24Tx48L and I'll be adding in a second tier with cages of 24Dx18Tx48L. But thanks anyways. :lol: :lol:
They sell rolls of wire but don't list it. The price moves around a bunch and they run on very thin margins. Better call them, it's free right? They are very competitive, ask for Dwight or his wife Mariam.

imajpm":13kqg04o said:
I have a couple hutches built from 2 x 4 wire. 18 gauge I believe with the normal bottom wire. These hutches are in my barn. They are functional but not my favorites. I wouldn't be comfortable having them in anything less secure than my barn due to the spacing, but they do work. If you use this type of wire I'd recommend making the front of the hutch, and/or door at least, out of regular rabbit wire since that is the hard use side of a hutch and the wider spacing of 2x4 makes it a bit flimsy.

14ga would be more structurally sound than 18ga. But was more concerned about the spacing and rabbits escaping. :x :lol: :lol: I think I'll get the stuff from lowes. My cousin asked what I wanted for Christmas and I told her a lowes gift card would be great. :p :lol: :lol: :lol: When she ask why, I told her I could use it for the rabbits. :lol: :lol: :lol:

wamplercathy":2dlnleq1 said:
14ga would be more structurally sound than 18ga. But was more concerned about the spacing and rabbits escaping. :x :lol: :lol: I think I'll get the stuff from lowes. My cousin asked what I wanted for Christmas and I told her a lowes gift card would be great. :p :lol: :lol: :lol: When she ask why, I told her I could use it for the rabbits. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lol I love the eyerolling and glazed looks in the eyes of the family when bunny stuff is in the works. I spend all my gift cards on bunny gear :D They don't escape from the 2 x 4 stuff. I did bend my bottom wire up though, it's similar looking to the built in baby saver wire.

Latest posts

Back