Feeding Haylage to rabbits?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanucksStar#17

Reaction score
I ran out of rabbit food today and I won't be able to pick more up until tomorrow. I would feed my rabbits hay but we only have haylage, is it ok to feed them haylage for one day?

Don't know what the food is that you ran out of but my understanding is that any new food should be introduced gradually, that abrupt change in feed can be dangerous or even fatal. Don't know that from experience because while we feed lots of different forage as well as roots and hay and some whole grain we've started slowly with each new thing and not fed just one thing any given day. Do you have rolled oats in your kitchen? I understand they are usually safe.

I hope someone more knowledgable will answer you on this. My thought is that you could feed both--the oat straw would provide needed roughage. We feed whole oats as part of our rabbits diet and have fed oat "grass" during the growing season (when it was used as a cover crop in the garden and then cut for feed) but haven't ever even fed the rolled oats--just know that people I trust recommend them in various emergency situations as a reliably safe feed and one rabbis usually like.

Back