Birthing/Temporary/Starter Rabbits Cages made from totes

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whiskey Hollow

Reaction score
I breed show quality Jersey Wooly rabbits and I lose sleep when my does are close to giving birth worrying that the babies will be born on the wire. So I ordered a box of the wire squares, found just the right sized totes and zip ties. My husband completed this in about an hour, the next 2 will go much faster. I have enough of the wire pieces that if I can find the totes cheap enough we can make them for other people. Works as a nice starter cage too. Obviously this size will not work for larger rabbits.

Attachments

• 3Finished birthing cage.jpg
    3Finished birthing cage.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 2,617
  • top view.jpg
    top view.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 2,617
  • room to rest outside.jpg
    room to rest outside.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 2,617
What a neat idea, Whiskey Hollow! :p

Babies could still chill if they're born outside of the nestbox and wander away from the nest the doe has built, but this will buy you a lot of time for gathering the nest and getting it into the nestbox if she does have them outside of it.

The bunny in the first picture appears to have removed all of her nesting material from her box, so it's certainly a valid concern. When she builds a nest, if it's outside the nestbox, you can try moving it to the box and putting the box where her nest was. She may remove the material again, or she may adopt it.

Welcome to RabbitTalk!

I'd be worried about my stupid rabbits chewing their way out, lol. I know when I had some C&C cages, the rabbits loved to eat the corroplast.

Cute.
The main improvement I'd suggest would be to use baby saver wire if they were intended as kindling cages. Hardware cloth on the bottom few inches would be sufficient.

Incredible idea for people who just can't say no to "just one more' bunny. :clap: :rabbit-hop2:

Also would be a great way to bring them in the house in the winter if it gets too cold.

Bad Habit":3nnvayiy said:
I'd be worried about my stupid rabbits chewing their way out, lol. I know when I had some C&C cages, the rabbits loved to eat the corroplast.

Yes the idea is fabulous but I know of at least half my rabbits would have a blast chewing the plastic and they'd be running amok!

Nice idea however it was be easier for me just to buy a cheap fold up cage for the newborns or just to place the babies in a tote leaving the lid off. The mother would be placed in it just for nursing.

I think those are a great idea for cold winters when you don't want to run out to check on a doe due to kindle anytime. Easy to stack, easy to clean, easy to manage.

Back