Dairy cow versus dairy goats?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just thought of another reason goats work well for us that I left out. Having 2 goats and just breeding one each fall means that we always have milk. All our goats--first saanen and then alpine--would keep producing milk for a second year after freshening. After having our own milk we really disliked getting milk from the store the couple times we bred both does at the same time and they were both dry for a couple months before kidding.

Rainey":3m5z2j6j said:
Just thought of another reason goats work well for us that I left out. Having 2 goats and just breeding one each fall means that we always have milk. All our goats--first saanen and then alpine--would keep producing milk for a second year after freshening. After having our own milk we really disliked getting milk from the store the couple times we bred both does at the same time and they were both dry for a couple months before kidding.

another good reason for goat milk is it is digestible, look up A-1 vs. A-2 milk, basically - anything with Holstein/ Friesian genetics is not very digestible to a lot of folks, and a lot of animals do very poorly on it also. -- When I get another cow, [unless another one is given to me] I want to get a Guernsey ....., - but a lot of years of milking and a lot of abuse has taken its toll on my hands, and the tendons stick when squeezing a teat, - so I will want a milking machine also... <br /><br /> __________ Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:56 pm __________ <br /><br />
Sali":3m5z2j6j said:
M4G, good point too.

Dogs
30-35 people are killed each year in the US.

Cows
22 people are killed in the US every year from these seemingly docile creatures.

Horses
20 people die each year.

I couldn't find any instances of a domestic goat managing to kill a human though I did find a report of a wild mountain goat killing a man several years ago (back in 2010?)

EDIT: Just found one case back in 1991 of a domestic goat killing its owner http://www.snopes.com/horrors/animals/snowball.asp but the owner also beat the goat mercilessly in an effort to make it mean.

I personally know of several people who have had goat horns stuck in them, [me included] but I don't personally know of anyone who died from it-- but I will tell you this-- it can cause a very nasty infection.... I have also been gored by cows a time or two, - that sucks also...

michaels4gardens":28yxp1au said:
I personally know of several people who have had goat horns stuck in them, [me included] but I don't personally know of anyone who died from it-- but I will tell you this-- it can cause a very nasty infection.... I have also been gored by cows a time or two, - that sucks also...

I stuck with deaths as there are next to no citable records on injuries from. I imagine injuries are a lot higher for both animals as they both can be jerks and are quite strong when they want to be. I guess I just prefer an animal when it gets out of line and seems to want to hurt me, I could physically defend myself from it (I have yet to meet a goat whom I couldn't flip when I needed to and if I finally met one I sure as heck ain't keepin' it). With a cow I don't really see that happening with me. Not so much with the mini breeds of cattle (which is certainly something to consider too), but standing next to a standard-sized cow(even worse - a bull) I feel very aware that I'm not ever entirely in control of the situation. Not something I'd ever want to forget, either, when dealing with them regularly.

I personally liked having dairy animals, and would do it again if I have a good situation for keeping them. but- I didn't see too many negatives listed, -Maybe because it is assumed that everyone already knows these...
Dairy animals have to be milked the same time each day ,morning and night, rain or shine , holidays, sick days, vacation days, etc.. it is a lot more interesting trying to find a relief milker, then it is someone to feed the rabbits, or chickens, so- going away on the weekend is out unless you time it with the cow/ goat "dry time", or have a relief milker. Feeding in the winter when there is no pasture can be expensive, [but not so much as buying the milk] - Animals get sick,[vets can be expensive] and sometimes die, this can be more traumatic with a dairy animal , because you have spent time with them twice a day for 10 or 15 years. Something will have to be done with the calves, or kids, - if you cant eat them, they will have to be sold to someone who will. [you can't just keep them all, as we would call this a hording situation] Animals [like people] have bad days, and can be very grumpy. [the only time I was kicked by my last cow was after I had given an ivermectin shot to her, she just turned her head and looked at me when I gave her the shot, then stood in her stanchion calmly eating the rest of her grain, then calmly backed out, and started walking back toward her pasture, as she passed me she kicked me, then turned and looked at me, then calmly walked on to her pasture.] As mentioned above cows will get protective of their newborn calves, and a holding / separation area [pen] is a good idea. Some dairy animals will hold back on giving their milk to you, so they can feed it to the young, [this can be a pain, if you want to control how much each of you will get] or if you plan on bottle feeding the young [recommended] and -- as mentioned above, -- cows are bigger than you are , this should not be forgotten - ever. If you are a person with anger management issues, or just "rather impatient", having a dairy animal is a bad idea....

All in all, there is a lot to consider when thinking of taking on a dairy animal (sheep are yet another option, believe it or not, just a lot harder to find milking breeds) and honestly it's a pleasant surprise to see someone considering the pros and cons before the fact. :) It's honestly fun to think about for me and remember all these things. I could talk about animals forever.

Oh, before I forget. Which product is also more easily sold or used up? Is your local market flooded with goat's milk soap/milk for "animal use only"? If not, excess is very likely to happen from time to time and these would be a good way to use them up. Are you able to sell unpasteurized raw milk in your area? What about cheeses and butter? Do people prefer the taste of raw cows milk to goat in your area? Then you would have a better market there for the excess instead. I love eggs and I got chickens for that, but some times I just get sick of eggs and need an outlet for the excess otherwise I am tossing money out the window when the eggs begin to spoil.

Sali":3jldboz1 said:
All in all, there is a lot to consider when thinking of taking on a dairy animal (sheep are yet another option, believe it or not, just a lot harder to find milking breeds) and honestly it's a pleasant surprise to see someone considering the pros and cons before the fact. :) It's honestly fun to think about for me and remember all these things. I could talk about animals forever.

Oh, before I forget. Which product is also more easily sold or used up? Is your local market flooded with goat's milk soap/milk for "animal use only"? If not, excess is very likely to happen from time to time and these would be a good way to use them up. Are you able to sell unpasteurized raw milk in your area? What about cheeses and butter? Do people prefer the taste of raw cows milk to goat in your area? Then you would have a better market there for the excess instead. I love eggs and I got chickens for that, but some times I just get sick of eggs and need an outlet for the excess otherwise I am tossing money out the window when the eggs begin to spoil.
where I live there are quite a few milk type sheep , they are crossed with "regular" sheep to improve "multiple lamb rearing" ability

Sali":2dhp76xe said:

My local market has none of it. No eggs, milk, soap or organic produce. We are hoping to make a bit there with our things and milk would be a nice extra.

Its a big decision for me and sooooo much money but so exciting too!

When I lived in North Florida, I bought a nice looking dairy heifer calf , for about $150 [over 10 years ago, ] but I had it get sick [scours] the morning after I got it, -- no big surprise, -- just like in rabbits, coccidiosis is a problem in calves, I was experienced in this sort of thing, and immediately went out to get corid, -after the corid it got better in about 24 hours, when I called the people I got the calf from, "they" were very defensive, and said they would not refund my money [I had not asked for a refund] I told them that I just called to tell them what their problem was- after I explained it to them and told her how to treat it, - "she" admitted that they had a high mortality in their calves, and that almost all of their calves died after they went for a trailer ride to their new destination, -- but they had no idea why they were dying.

Sali":cjb4onyb said:

And if you don't want to have to bother with marketing you can get a pig :D that will eat up excess milk and whey from your cheese-making and even eggs. And eventually you have bacon to wrap your low-fat rabbit meat in . . .just saying, not trying to lead anyone into temptation ;)
And now when this year's pig is in the freezer, the whey goes to the chickens who lay the eggs . . .

I own and milk goats. I've found that goat milk tastes just like cows milk! As long as the goat is fed properly and given copper bolouses their milk tastes amazing. If you run into "goaty" milk there is a nutrition issue with the goat.

I make butter and cheese. Goats milk will separate. I leave it in a dish in the fridge for 3-6 days and the cream rises to the top, I scoop it off and toss it into a bag I keep in the freezer. When I have enough I make butter, or Alfredo sauce!

I rented the stinkiest buck this year, he was in with my milking goats getting them pregnant. No goaty flavor to the milk at all, and I sell my milk to weekly customers. No one noticed a difference. He was making babies and peeing all over the place. No goaty milk.

I feed my goats very well and keep them well supplemented. Also, a well fed goat is less likely to escape. I feed hay, alfalfa pellets, sweet cob and I bring them forage. Younger goats are more likely to escape than older goats. Goats in heat are more likely to escape, as are bucks.

I can't afford to feed a cow and frankly, they are so large I worry that they can be dangerous. I love my goats, horns and all! Horns make great handles.

dayna":23cl8hti said:
I own and milk goats. I've found that goat milk tastes just like cows milk! As long as the goat is fed properly and given copper bolouses their milk tastes amazing. If you run into "goaty" milk there is a nutrition issue with the goat.

I make butter and cheese. Goats milk will separate. I leave it in a dish in the fridge for 3-6 days and the cream rises to the top, I scoop it off and toss it into a bag I keep in the freezer. When I have enough I make butter, or Alfredo sauce!

I rented the stinkiest buck this year, he was in with my milking goats getting them pregnant. No goaty flavor to the milk at all, and I sell my milk to weekly customers. No one noticed a difference. He was making babies and peeing all over the place. No goaty milk.

I feed my goats very well and keep them well supplemented. Also, a well fed goat is less likely to escape. I feed hay, alfalfa pellets, sweet cob and I bring them forage. Younger goats are more likely to escape than older goats. Goats in heat are more likely to escape, as are bucks.

I can't afford to feed a cow and frankly, they are so large I worry that they can be dangerous. I love my goats, horns and all! Horns make great handles.

thank you, I had not heard of "copper boluses" for goats - If the "goaty" tasting milk issue could be fixed, I think a lot more people would drink goat milk.
as it is a better for most humans than cow milk, [especially Holstein milk]-- the last time I tasted some goat milk that "tasted just like cows milk" at a farmers market, it was still putrid. -- --when I fed red oat hay, and grass pasture, with all of the weeds carefully removed, the milk was good, when they had any alfalfa, or a few bites of weeds, the milk was only good for cheese. [and baby bottles, who I guess,- get used to the taste]

I had a mennonite woman tell me that milking directly onto a frozen bottle would keep the milk from tasting "goaty". I did try some of her milk and while it did taste slightly different it was still good. My my boy, who was 3 at the time, didn't even notice a difference. At least he drank it without saying anything.

I've been interested in the different ideas about the taste. When we decided to get goats (thought a cow would be too big, too much milk) I anticipated having to get used to goaty tasting milk and then was surprised to find that it just tasted to me like the raw milk I'd had as a child from my grandparents' cow. And I'm remembering a group of high school kids that spent a week with us and how they wouldn't use the milk on their cereal or anything and were sure it would taste weird. Finally the last day they decided they were all going to bravely try some--and they were very disappointed and said, "but it just tastes like milk". So I'm wondering how much it has to do with difference in the drinkers' sensitivity or different individual goats or different feed :? Seems odd that it is such a deciding factor for so many people and then not a discernible difference for others.
I'm thankful anyway that ours tastes good to me :)

Rainey":3nnosgov said:
I've been interested in the different ideas about the taste. When we decided to get goats (thought a cow would be too big, too much milk) I anticipated having to get used to goaty tasting milk and then was surprised to find that it just tasted to me like the raw milk I'd had as a child from my grandparents' cow. And I'm remembering a group of high school kids that spent a week with us and how they wouldn't use the milk on their cereal or anything and were sure it would taste weird. Finally the last day they decided they were all going to bravely try some--and they were very disappointed and said, "but it just tastes like milk". So I'm wondering how much it has to do with difference in the drinkers' sensitivity or different individual goats or different feed :? Seems odd that it is such a deciding factor for so many people and then not a discernible difference for others.
I'm thankful anyway that ours tastes good to me :)

When I milked goats, the saanan, and Nubian had much more palatable milk then my alpine, or togganburg

some people really are quite sensitive. I cannot eat anything spicy as I'm too sensitive to it. The less spice, the better. I prefer meats that are as moderately seasoned as possible. I love my steak with nothing on it at all (Walmart doesn't count, their beef is garbage).

If you had an add on CL selling something, wouldnt you answer a potential buyer? Even on Thanksgiving weekend?

I want a cow so bad I can just about taste it (mmmmmm steak!) but have decided that if the saved money has to stretch to both dairy and a used kiln, goats it has to be.

Have found some in my price range, breed choice, age is right, bred, no horns, etc. etc. etc. but the seller wont get back to me.

:evil:

At least goats will let us see if the whole milking thing is for us, the last time I tried it my marriage was crumbling round my ears so perhaps the goats wernt as bad as remembered. :lol:

Copper Bolluses? Please tell all!

GBov":3fzi7qy9 said:
If you had an add on CL selling something, wouldnt you answer a potential buyer? Even on Thanksgiving weekend?

I want a cow so bad I can just about taste it (mmmmmm steak!) but have decided that if the saved money has to stretch to both dairy and a used kiln, goats it has to be.

Have found some in my price range, breed choice, age is right, bred, no horns, etc. etc. etc. but the seller wont get back to me.

:evil:

At least goats will let us see if the whole milking thing is for us, the last time I tried it my marriage was crumbling round my ears so perhaps the goats wernt as bad as remembered. :lol:

Copper Bolluses? Please tell all!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N39 ... =8-1-spell

I bolous 1gram per 22 pounds of goat weight. I use these and break them down if need be into smaller quantities. I feed with banana chunks. I do it every 4 months, as well as have a loose goat mineral available at all times. It really cures the "goaty" milk.

Well, despite REALLY wanting a cow I just couldnt justify spending all that money on ONE animal. Had a look on CL and found a woman selling bred Nubian does. I came home with three bred does and one 5 month old stars and moons marked doeling. They are 1, 2 and 3 months bred so time to get them settled in before I start to worry about the kids coming.

Have wormed them all and they are so calm and friendly, light years away from the Nigerian Dwarf Dairy goats we had, they were so awful we swore to never have goats again if they were typical. :lol: In fact, it was my 11 year old daughter who wormed them - some help from me holding heads up until they swallowed - and they were good as gold for her.

They are locked up in the 10 by 10 kennel right now but shall move to the 1/3rd acre paddock this weekend and then spend several hours of their days tethered to tires on new browse every day. The best of both worlds I think, a safe place to sleep and fresh pasture all the time.

My cousin who farms in Mi does that with all her goats as she says cows stay put but goats DONT! Despite thousands in fencing, all her goatlies have to be tethered to keep their butts in place. :lol:

Latest posts

Back