Project?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZachsRabbits

Reaction score
I was wondering if I could use a Havana to improve the REW variety of Polish. In Ohio and Pennsylvania the REW's are very scare and very pet quality. So If can I use the Havana to improve the shoulders and size I would be happy. I think it would be fun and I am not worried about the time it takes.

I think you'd be better off getting a diff colour polish to improve your rew line if you're not worried about time. It will take some time, but as long as you have a halfway decent polish in rew, you will always have that recessive, either to breed back to, or to testbreed for REW before moving forward(in further removed generations//if the rew is really poor quality). I would be worried that havanas would add too much size and make them too large.

I agree that they would add too much weight and ear length and alter the head too much (the head is key in Polish as it's worth half the points)

Havanas don't come in white so I'm not sure how they will improve on a REW Polish :shrug:

I definitely would acquire other colors of Polish to improve your REWs. Crossing in different breeds can be helpful, but in this case I think the Havana would hinder your breeding program more than help it.

I agree havanas would not be a good choice. I understand I should use other colors to the enhance the REW's but which My REW is a genetic chocolate and all the chocolates in this area have long shoulders and body but great hq's. I could use black and blue which most blacks carry blue and I don't want lilac.

REW is a recessive gene, but all kits out of your REW will carry 1 copy for it. Even better if you could find blacks/blues/chocolates that carry REW, you might get some REWs in the first generation. The gene can hide for many generations but your best bet would be a colored Polish with a REW in the last 3 generations. If you don't get REW in your litters, breed those kits to each other or a REW to increase the chance of getting more REWs. It's going to take time to get the rabbits where you want them, but that's part of the fun. :)

Another option would be to look into getting stock transported back to you from the Polish National show if you're unable to attend yourself. Nationals are held in the early spring. I'm not sure where the 2016 Nationals will be for Polish, but breeders from all over the country typically attend. You could get in touch with breeders who have stock you like and see what they'll have for sale. Transport costs usually range from $10-$20 per rabbit.

The reason I care about getting Lilacs is 90% of the Polish I produce will have to be colored and then the other 10% can be REW not my stupid rule but my father's which makes it ever so complicated. I must find a way to do this.

so...what's wrong with lilac?

If you get lilac just cull it out...sell for pets or breeding stock to those who want to breed lilac.. isn't it a recognized colour now?

You won't necessarily get lilac either. I have blues, blacks and chocolates. Haven't had one lilac show up thus far. :)

I remember being a youth breeder, I know it can be frustrating. My parents had rules too and didn't always understand the way things worked in rabbits. If you prefer to raise ruby-eyed white, have a calm discussion with your dad about the reasons why and how you can best meet your goals. When I first started showing rabbits, I was limited to 4 cages. A year later it was 10 because my parents saw my dedication and listened to my discussion of how with a few more cages, I would have room to expand and improve my breeding program. I was also doing work for my dad to earn the money to pay for those cages. Good luck!

I buy the new cages expect for christmas where he buys me new cages. We went on a 3 hour drive there and back plus a hotel room to Ohio so I could I meet and purchase some stock from a quality REW breeder based in Michigan. He told me white really and how are we supposed to sell those ugly things. So I started looking around for brokens because he likes brokens so do I but REW is just my thing. None the less the REW's were the best thing I saw all day. My deepest regret so far in this hobby is not buying one of those REW's which I was paying for anyway.

If there are big shows near you - I know PA and OH have some big shows at different times of year, you may have the chance to meet up with that breeder again and possibly get some stock. May I ask why your dad cares about which colors you raise? Is he concerned that you won't be able to sell them? My first rabbits were REW Netherland Dwarfs. Some people like white rabbits because they are "traditional".

Yep. he's afraid I would not sell the REW's when he likes my REW buck and always says how friendly he is.

I can understand his concern. Fortunately, Polish are small rabbits so you could hold on to bunnies that don't sell as quickly as you'd like. Plus, if you are able to show your rabbits and do well with them, that will make your show and breeding stock more desirable. As I said before, some pet owners like white rabbits because that is what traditional pets looked like. You can boost the appeal by talking up the temperament and small size of your rabbits (many pet owners only want small breeds). Cute pictures of bunnies with props or a colorful ribbon also add to the ad.

Back