State and Provincial Codes for Selling Rabbit Meat

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is what I found for Wi. regulation on selling rabbit meat.

Producers MAY slaughter, process and sell rabbit meat directly to consumers from their PREMISES WITHOUT inspection.

Information found on: WiDATCP (Wi department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection)

Update to the rules for Oklahoma!

According to the oklahoma rabbit inspection act http://www.oda.state.ok.us/food/foodsaf ... y_sub9.pdf it was illegal to sell processed rabbit meat in oklahoma unless it had been slaughtered at a USDA inspected facility. However, I had been told recently that it was legal so long as it was directly from the farm that raised the rabbit. This got me to wondering if there had been a law change fairly recently and I had missed it.

I believe that this does indeed mean that it is legal for me to sell processed rabbit so long as it is directly from my farm and not through any retail establishment. Am I reading this correct?

A. The Oklahoma Rabbit and Rabbit Products Inspection Act (I linked it above) shall apply to:

1. Any person that engages in the business of slaughtering any rabbits or processing, freezing, packaging, or labeling any carcasses, or parts or products of carcasses, of any rabbit, for intrastate commerce, for use as human food or animal food. The provisions of this paragraph shall not apply to:

a.the slaughtering of rabbits owned and raised by a person who prepares and transports the carcasses of:

(1)rabbits or parts of rabbits exclusively for his own use or for use by members of his household or his nonpaying guests or employees, or

(2)rabbits owned and raised by a person who prepares and transports the carcasses of uninspected rabbits or parts of rabbits exclusively for sale directly to household consumers. Said persons are specifically prohibited from selling or donating uninspected rabbit products to retail stores, brokers, meat markets, schools, orphanages, restaurants, nursing homes and similar establishments. Said persons are further prohibited from sales or donation of uninspected rabbit products to caterers, charitable institutions, public fund raising events and similar activities. Said persons are further prohibited from selling uninspected rabbit products through any type of retail market or similar establishment owned or operated by the rabbit owner or raiser,

http://law.justia.com/codes/oklahoma/20 ... 2-6-280.5/

__________ Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:23 am __________

I went ahead and called the dept of agriculture to verify and he read the amendment which was made in 2014 and agreed that I would be able to sell to household consumers but not restaurants or retail stores. I'm pretty pleased. I was under the impression all rabbit meat in oklahoma had to be inspected.

Does anyone know what the regulations are for Florida? Just getting started, so nowhere near selling meat but it is something I'm keeping in mind. If I remember correctly, raw milk can be sold as long as it's labeled "Not For Human Consumption"...wonder if it's the same with meat?

Massachusetts:
Food Protection Program Policies, Procedures and Guidelines
Issue: Slaughtering and Processing of Meat and Poultry No: FP-03
Current Massachusetts regulations regarding the slaughtering and processing of meat and poultry (105 CMR 500.030 and 105 CMR 500.031) do not specifically address raised or wild game animals that may be subject to slaughtering and processing and intended for use as human food. This policy attempts to provide slaughterers, processors, regulators and consumers with the necessary information to determine if these activities are being conducted in conformance with the relevant regulation(s).
Meat and Poultry Intended for Sale as Food:
All domesticated meat and poultry whose product is intended for sale must be slaughtered and processed in an U. S. Department of Agriculture, Food Safety and Inspection Service (USDA/FSIS) inspected facility. The facility must be subject to mandatory or exempt inspection by USDA/FSIS. All USDA/FSIS inspected facilities are subject to licensure by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health (MDPH).
Meat and Poultry Raised for Private Use and Slaughtered and Processed by the Owner:
Individuals who raise meat and poultry for personal use and slaughter and process the animals may do so without first obtaining a permit from MDPH or the local board of health (LBoH) within whose jurisdiction the slaughtering and processing occurs. The product generated from the slaughtering and processing may not be sold or given away and is solely for use of the owner of the animal, his/her immediate family members and/or non-paying guests.
Meat and Poultry Raised for Private Use and Slaughtered and Processed by a Second Party:
Individuals who raise meat and poultry for personal use but choose to have the animal slaughtered and processed by a second party, must have it slaughtered and processed in a MDPH licensed facility. If the individual has slaughtered the animal and is only seeking to have the animal processed, it too must be processed in a MDPH licensed facility or at a retail facility holding a current, valid permit from the LBoH within whose jurisdiction the processing occurs. The product generated from the slaughtering and/or processing may not be sold or given away and is solely for use of the owner of the animal, his/her immediate family members and/or non-paying guests.

Latest posts

Back