Alternatives to hay

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a client who can't feed hay to her rabbit. She's discovered through an allergist (so it's actually verified) that her husband is allergic to hay.

She's wondering what else she can feed her rabbit.

She's not sure that hay cubes would be the answer.

I've told her to feed grasses, grow oat grass, look into apple branches, raspberry canes, willow etc.

What else might I suggest to her?
She's highly into feeding organic foods and has already been out picking grass and what not.

She's discovered through an allergist (so it's actually verified) that her husband is allergic to hay.

Ummm what kind of hay? There are as many different types of hay as their are grasses. It seems a bit unlikely that he would be allergic to all kinds of hay without being allergic to grass. She needs to find out exactly what they tested.

It may be if he is allergic to a type of grass that alfalfa would be ok. It could also be, that if he is allergic to alfalfa, that pellet dust would bother him as well since most pellets are alfalfa based.

She can use Timothy based pellets. I've also noticed that my rabbits really like fallen leaves as well as lawn grass.

Is the rabbit indoors or out?

I am allergic to trees, dust, and grass. Yippee :roll: . I can't really get away from it so it's just part of life. I did do allergy shots for a few years which helped tremendously! If the rabbit is indoors, I agree that even the dust from the pellets might be irritating (this last bag I got was ridiculously dusty and I have had some lingering allergy issues after feeding the rabbits). I know even some hay can be dusty... if nothing else could she get some kind of a small scale hay rack, or stick it through a plastic ring, while still outside, then bring it in so there isn't as much disturbance? Definitely see what kind of hay.

If the rabbit is outside, then I think just feeding as normal should be fine. Environmental allergies are pretty much always there, you learn to live with them. Pollen and dust can travel a significant distance (1/4 mile? 1/2 mile? I don't remember what the allergist said) so even if you went out and had a rock garden in your yard, eliminating all or most potential allergens, your neighbor's trees and grass will still cause issues.

Oh, and for me I have skin issues if the hay scratches me... if I am moving a bale I make sure to wear pants/long sleeves.

definitely an indoor rabbit.
Definitely only dried hay of a variety of sorts.
Pellets he's fine with as long as doesn't handle them.

advised her to try some dry straw as it's a good long fibre and apparently he's able to move straw bales for a farmer friend (but not the hay bales). She hadn't considered straw. She'll be growing oatgrass for her bunny as well.

Back