End cap size for rabbit feet?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good question. :? It would probably be best to measure the end of your average sized rabbit foot. They are going to vary in size according to the age they are butchered, so you might need several sizes.

The ones you linked to are very pretty!

MamaSheepdog":2rralyer said:
Good question. :? It would probably be best to measure the end of your average sized rabbit foot. They are going to vary in size according to the age they are butchered, so you might need several sizes.

The ones you linked to are very pretty!

Lol I feel kinda silly now. For some reason I was thinking they there would be a standard size or something. :lol: :lol:

:lol: Back in the day that they sold rabbit feet at 7-11 and other places, they just had those cheap caps that were crimped on- so they did have a "standard" size- sort of. :roll:

With something as fancy as you are looking at, you wouldn't want to crimp it, though. Are you planning on using some type of glue?

Yes, I was thinking of using leather glue. Which reminds me, I need to order a new can of it....

I'm not 100% sure that will work given the fur. I may have to clip the fur back at the end. <br /><br /> __________ Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:57 am __________ <br /><br /> I've been looking at these also. http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Great-Qu ... 93787.html

It looks like those have a set screw that you tighten to secure everything.

alforddm":ze8mn67j said:
I've been looking at these also. http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Great-Qu ... 93787.html

Those will be too large. It says the inside diameter is 24mm, which is 15/16". (Gotta love online conversion calculators, lol!)

Okay- I checked the size on the first ones you linked to. It lists the length as being 13mm, and the width as 8.5mm (I'm assuming outside diameter), so they are way too small.

I think you probably need something that has an inside diameter of no more than 5/8" or 16mm.

I realize this is old... but updated info maybe?

If the feet turn out well, I will need this.

I found some 15mm tassel end caps that work. However, they are a bit expensive when ordering through etsy. https://www.etsy.com/transaction/1072024353 I found them on aliexpress and ordered a 50 pack. However, I think they sent me seconds because they are not nearly as nice as the ones I got from etsy. I'm still going to use them but I don't recommend them. https://www.etsy.com/transaction/1072024353

Regular jingle bells that you can get at walmart work great also and while they don't look as fancy they are a whole lot cheaper.
You can find them in the craft section. Use the "large" ones that are 20mm. It will say in the fine print on the package.

Oh and it's wonderful to see you again Suzie. We've missed you.

alforddm":2w3852aa said:
I found some 15mm tassel end caps that work. However, they are a bit expensive when ordering through etsy. https://www.etsy.com/transaction/1072024353 I found them on aliexpress and ordered a 50 pack. However, I think they sent me seconds because they are not nearly as nice as the ones I got from etsy. I'm still going to use them but I don't recommend them. https://www.etsy.com/transaction/1072024353

Regular jingle bells that you can get at walmart work great also and while they don't look as fancy they are a whole lot cheaper.
You can find them in the craft section. Use the "large" ones that are 20mm. It will say in the fine print on the package.

Oh and it's wonderful to see you again Suzie. We've missed you.

Thanks :) I'm hoping to get past all of the unpleasantness.

How long should I leave the feet in the bucket of salt? I've noticed that there is liquid in the bottom. I'm kind of worried about that. I've also read that feet should be put into an alcohol bath for a couple of days... I haven't done that. Should I take them out of the salt and do that? They don't seem to be drying up, but there's no smell either.

I also wanted to ask... with the bells you're using, how do you attach them to the feet? Just clamp them on tightly or do you use something to adhere them?

Add me to the list of curious! I had feet set out from my last processing session and wasn't sure what to do with them. The cat decided they were good toys so I just said "whatever" and let her go. I would like to do something with them the next time though.

I remember the dyed rabbits feet keychains growing up. I am sure PETA had a fit about it somewhere along the way :roll:

I leave mine in rubbing alcohol for 48 hr and then in a borax water solution (as much borax as will dissolve in the water) for another 48 hrs then I dry in my dehydrator. The instructions for the alcohol and borax is on this forum somewhere. Oh and if you soak them in a borax solution be sure you rinse them in water before you dry them as the borax can make the hair crusty. I've never used the salt method but, and I'm just guessing, I think the water you are seeing in the bottom is moisture that the salt has drawn from the feet and out of the air. As long as the feet themselves are covered with salt they should be fine. If the salt is damp to the touch though I would replace it.

The feet are dry when you can longer bend the joints. You can then cut them to size and add the cap. I use a gel superglue or a high quality jewelry glue to secure the cap since these aren't the crimp on kind. I've found glueing the jingle bells works better than trying to crimp them on also.

Hope that helps.

I saw some with shotgun shells (metal part only) used as end caps recently.

MamaSheepdog":2hhx4zya said:
I saw some with shotgun shells (metal part only) used as end caps recently.

That is an interesting thought. Probably 20 gauge?

EDIT:
I checked hubby's shells and it would have the be 20 gauge. His 12 gauge shells look to big and the 410 gauge is way to small.

alforddm":18kci04e said:
I leave mine in rubbing alcohol for 48 hr and then in a borax water solution (as much borax as will dissolve in the water) for another 48 hrs then I dry in my dehydrator. The instructions for the alcohol and borax is on this forum somewhere. Oh and if you soak them in a borax solution be sure you rinse them in water before you dry them as the borax can make the hair crusty. I've never used the salt method but, and I'm just guessing, I think the water you are seeing in the bottom is moisture that the salt has drawn from the feet and out of the air. As long as the feet themselves are covered with salt they should be fine. If the salt is damp to the touch though I would replace it.

The feet are dry when you can longer bend the joints. You can then cut them to size and add the cap. I use a gel superglue or a high quality jewelry glue to secure the cap since these aren't the crimp on kind. I've found glueing the jingle bells works better than trying to crimp them on also.

Hope that helps.

It does help! Hmm... I wonder if it would be a good idea to take the feet out of the salt and soak them in alcohol followed by the borax solution? :/ Seems like I'm going about this backwards. I hope they will be ok.

Since you've already got them in the salt I would leave them and just let them dry. They should be fine so long as the salt is dry enough to continue adsorbing moisture. Salt is a really good preservative/drying agent.

Thanks :) I'm hoping to get past all of the unpleasantness.

How long should I leave the feet in the bucket of salt? I've noticed that there is liquid in the bottom. I'm kind of worried about that. I've also read that feet should be put into an alcohol bath for a couple of days... I haven't done that. Should I take them out of the salt and do that? They don't seem to be drying up, but there's no smell either.

I also wanted to ask... with the bells you're using, how do you attach them to the feet? Just clamp them on tightly or do you use something to adhere them?
When setting hair and tanning deer hides I start with salting the hide heavily and setting on plywood or a board on a steep angle. The water runs off away from hides, brush and resalt as needed.

Back