favourite housing??

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brody

Reaction score
I largely keep my rabbits in runs - modified colonies if they'll tolerate it but think the caging folks are onto something great in terms of clean up and space useage

I'm curious to know what kinds of caging people use for thier rabbits and where they keep there rabbits?

I also use 3 hutches like this

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... Id=2751752

and sick rabbits get double guinea pig cages (as does franklin otherwise he rubs his bottom raw) variations of this if you don't know what I mean

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... n=Pet+Type

I do like the hutch thing, but so far we don't have places for them :( So far I have the colony (8x8 with 3 angora does), and 3'x4' cages, home built, on legs that keep them at waist level. They can be connected so they end up bigger (for grow out cages).

I have 2 bucks in 3'x3' wire cages, stacked...as soon as I get out to the farm (after it stops being winter) they'll go into larger hutches with attached runs, under a roof.

I'd love to have my buns in a colony, but unless I can solve the ongoing rat problem here, cages are safer for them. The rats don't bother the adults, but it seems from other peoples' experiences that they will attack, kill and eat kits.

My preferred form of colony would be a good-sized shed with pop-holes (bunny doors) to several secure outdoor runs.

I have two double rows of hanging wire cages of various sizes, 4 over 4 on the left side, and three over two on the right, and the rows are 8' long. (pThe 8 smaller cages were designated for bucks and youngsters growing up, (Polish rabbits are less than 4lbs) the three are for does, and the two double wides are for does with litters. I have slanted boards covered with tarp between the rows, and the droppings all fall into a pit underneath. Because the floor is dirt, the liquid drains away, and the 'barn' stays very cool in summer. I have only 7 rabbits right now, the left side of the barn has only two bucks and six empty cages. I have three open does in the top cages on the right, and two does in the bottom maternity cages.

wire cages for cleanliness.

I would love though to have BIG cages for my bunnies. or at least cages with runs outside to keep my bunnies active and in shape. But that would require land and outbuildings...not tarp barns. :)

It would be so great if everyone would post photos of their cages and barns etc. We are in the planning stages of a new rabbit barn and would love to see some easy care successful set ups. We tend to spoil them space wise but do keep them caged. Any pics would be so welcome! I remember seeing Truckinguy post some on HT and another person with the whole step by step of putting one together.
Worth a zillion words yakno! TIA!
B~

i don't think it's spoiling them to give them space - I think it's optimizing health and well being ;)

Back