Guesses on what breed this could be?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikegurl

Reaction score
A few days ago my dog found this little rabbit in our yard. Thankfully he is an amazing dog and stopped chasing it shortly after I told him to leave it. It hid in an easily accessible spot, so my husband and I were able to capture it. He is a very small boy, but his testicles are dropped. (Does that mean he is intact? :? I have no idea what a neutered rabbit would look like.)
In my complete ignorance of dwarf breeds, I'm guessing a Netherland Dwarf....but I really have no idea.
[album]3404[/album]

He's very cute, and pretty friendly, so we are planning on keeping him as a pet...as long as no horrible behavior or diseases pop up once he's settled in.

So, any ideas of what he could be? Also, is there any way to tell if he is neutered?
We actually have an idea of where he came from...about 2 blocks away we saw a bunch of rabbits loose in someone's yard. My husband talked to the owner, and he had (very irresponsibly) bought some rabbits on a whim at an auction, had no idea how to care for them, so set them loose in the yard. :shock: :evil: Some people.....

Such a cutie! Reminds me of how we got our first rabbit... he had been a loose "feral" rabbit, but my friends caught him and we got to keep him. He looked a lot like the one you have here, too! Except he had a broken silver coat, and was probably a little bigger. We had no idea what breed he was, but my friend who has like 20 pet rabbits said he looked like some sort of dalmatian colored english-rex cross.

Anyway, yours is not a netherland dwarf. At least not full ND. The ears are much too big.
He could be some sort of english spot mix... but I'm not too sure.
If he has testicles, it means that he is still intact :)
Fixed rabbits have no testicles, just like if it were a fixed dog :)

Looks like commercial/dwarf mix, if he were fixed just as PL said there would be no testicles at all (or sacs where they'd been). Every thing is completely removed when rabbits get fixed. I've seen dogs/cats been left with sacs and just testicles themselves removed. So you know he's fairly young looking but at least 5-6 months of age if he has his testicles most likely. Cute lil bugger and very lucky he wasn't picked off by some not so friendly thing...

Thanks for the replies! What do you mean by commercial/dwarf mix?
It's kinda funny that his ears are too long to be a ND....I thought his ears were so short! :lol:

Commercial dwarf rabbits are usually not pure bred, and only have a little bit of dwarf in their genes :)
At least thats what they are around here.

Haha, his ears are a medium size, I would say.
Here are some pics of my rabbits' ears for you to compare :D

Netherland Dwarfs:
tink 4.jpg
thumbelina 2.jpg

Dutch:
Pumpkin Laying Down.jpg

Mixed Rabbit:
daisy cute.jpg

I think some sort of Polish mix would be right... I think his ears are too large to be all or mostly polish though.

Yeah commercial refers to the meatter rounded body type...could be a whole passel of mix of breeds in that area. There is no commercial dwarf; commercial, compact, cylinder all refer to body type/general breed characteristics ;)

Rebel.Rose.Rabbitry":3p9h338v said:
Yeah commercial refers to the meatter rounded body type...could be a whole passel of mix of breeds in that area. There is no commercial dwarf; commercial, compact, cylinder all refer to body type/general breed characteristics ;)
Ah, now I understand! Thanks!

Petlover500":3p9h338v said:
Commercial dwarf rabbits are usually not pure bred, and only have a little bit of dwarf in their genes :)
At least thats what they are around here.

Haha, his ears are a medium size, I would say.
Here are some pics of my rabbits' ears for you to compare :D
View attachment 3
I see...his ears are much longer than those! :)

Zass":3p9h338v said:
My guess would be polish, or polish mix?

Well, using google images as any gauge, when I search Polish...many of the pictures look very much like him! :D But, his ears are longer.

Thanks! I was just idly curious. :lol: I was thinking he was probably a mix of something...and was hoping for an idea of what it could be... :)

Polish maybe, and some other stuff too.. :bunnyhop:

Back