our new rabbit quarters

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rainey

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_8968.jpgThis summer my son has been building a new barn (28' x 48') between current woodshed and goat area. The second floor will serve as hayloft, drying area for willow, brambles and other stuff we dry through the growing season and other storage. The ground floor has an enclosed 15' x 28' rabbit area with 3 windows on both ends.

Yesterday we moved in our buck, the two does we've been breeding this year and a couple junior does. Today one litter goes to freezer camp and the 9 week growouts will be moved into the new area. Last year we started with a 6' x 8' shed with 3 tiers of wire cages (36" x 30") and this year had to add a couple 48" x 30" cages for growouts and put them one above the other in a 5' x 5' area just off the goat pen where we put kids overnight during weaning. So we are pleased to have more room and to have a space to work in that is enclosed so that if one gets loose when we're trimming nails or evaluating it's at least in an enclosed area. Also pleased to have access to more than just the front of the cages.

Attachments

• IMG_8971.jpg
    IMG_8971.jpg
    302.9 KB · Views: 1,480
  • IMG_8967.jpg
    IMG_8967.jpg
    406.5 KB · Views: 1,480
Beautiful barn! Can't wait to see the full layout!! I dream of a building like that... someday. Maybe. For now it's cheap sheds and hoop coops scattered around the property :roll:

heritage":21ipf9n6 said:
Beautiful barn! Can't wait to see the full layout!! I dream of a building like that... someday. Maybe. For now it's cheap sheds and hoop coops scattered around the property :roll:
Here, too. We have very few places that we can put an out-building because of zoning for flood plane. In fact, what we have is all we can do as it is now grandfathered in.

That's a great barn, Rainey! You and your son should be proud. Love the photos. Those are some happy rabbits. :)

It's not just for the rabbits. The part that just off the side will be the winter chicken coop. The other two thirds of the ground floor will be used for woodworking, welding, working on equipment. Building it has meant a hard push all summer. Even though some of the lumber was milled out last winter, much of it had to be cut down, hauled out and sawn up this summer--and there are still battens to be put up, windows to install, doors to build and install. The loft floor is only finished where it is also the roof of the rabbit area. Then there will be the wiring and lights. But it will make many things easier once it is completed. For now, we're just glad to have the rabbit part ready and the buns moved in. :D

Looks like it should offer you and the animals a lot more comfort from the elements when needed! I am eyeing a silo out back - DH is supposed to ask his grandpa about it. If I can claim it as my own I hope to have a hay loft in it as well!

And can I say? I have no idea what breed(s) the rabbits are in the photo, but I want to cuddle with the silky looking grey ones! :lol:

heritage":22jzees7 said:
Looks like it should offer you and the animals a lot more comfort from the elements when needed! I am eyeing a silo out back - DH is supposed to ask his grandpa about it. If I can claim it as my own I hope to have a hay loft in it as well!

As well as better space for rabbits and chickens, the new barn means we can get to them and the goats without stepping outside. This barn replaces an open sided pole barn into which the snow blew and drifted. The goats are at the far end of this barn.

And can I say? I have no idea what breed(s) the rabbits are in the photo, but I want to cuddle with the silky looking grey ones! :lol:

The kits are 3/4 SF and 1/4 NZW. Last year the half and half kits were black starting out and then some developed steel and some silvering. This year the kits are mostly shades of grey with a few black. I don't understand all the words rabbit folks use for grey, depending on shade and breed, but these are mutts so I just say grey :)

EnglishSpot":9qa57r8h said:
Nice barn! Great job!!

How do you hang your cages on the racks?? (Pics please!!)

We drilled holes in the upper rail and ran a 1" square piece of wood from the front to the back inserted in the top section of the cage wire (one of these rods on each end of the cage) Had words with son who built the racks because the cages were a tight fit--had told him that most folks on RT recommended more space between the cage and the rail. But he thought it would bounce around less if a tighter fit. (We're all too tired and a bit grouchy--but we're also all aware of the need to help each other out. ;) ) I think the wood could be a problem if the rabbits didn't have other stuff to chew, but all our rabbits get some kind of twigs to chew on every day and seem to prefer those to the wood of their feeders, nest boxes, cage hangers.
Will try to get pics--today the wind is up and the power off and on. At least he got the last battens up yesterday and hopes to get the other windows, outside the rabbit section, tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back