The difference between NDs and Dwarf rabbits in South africa

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleFluffyBunnies

Reaction score
So I own two rabbits, a buck and a doe, which are Dwarf rabbits. I live in the eastern Cape of South Africa, and there is a large difference between Dwarf rabbits here and pedigreed Netherland Dwarfs. I do find some similarities though, as my Dwarfs are very small, have ears shorter than other rabbits, and rounder heads. They are not exactly upright, but I am able to persuade them to sit like an ND if I keep my finger under their chin.

I am planning on breeding, and I think this is good quality considering where I live. For a while I thought my buck might have pinched hips, but after stressing about it for weeks and constantly looking at him and doing tons of research on it, I decided he is actually fine.

I love my rabbits like crazy, they are so sweet! Mostly they are just my pets. The good thing about not being pure NDs is that they are very mellow and never ever nip. I am curious to see if they carry the actual Dwarf gene, or if they are just small. I am looking forward to a litter someday to find out.

Just thought I would share the difference, it is quite interesting.

Attachments

• IMG_3415.JPG
    IMG_3415.JPG
    146.4 KB · Views: 614
  • IMG_3422.JPG
    IMG_3422.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 614
  • IMG_3443.JPG
    IMG_3443.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 614
They look like some of the Netherland dwarf sold as pets here and the dwarf crosses to other small breeds. With the longer ears and less roundness I have been told by judges to show such rabbits as polish before. I'm sure the people who breed the higher quality polish would be annoyed by Judge's saying that.

I personally believe almost any rabbits can be bred together if you are just doing it for pets :)
They may not be show quality, but they sure are adorable!! :p :D

Back