Overnighting to a show--rabbit confinement questions

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm going to the OSNZRBA show in November. The trip will be an overnighter since the show is only about 20-30 minutes from where my sister lives.

Rabbits will be transported in carriers. However, what do I do with them overnight? Do they get left in the carriers for 48 straight until I get home?? Should I bring a cage so I can let them stretch out one at a time?

What do you do?

We leave rabbits in their carriers for weekend shows all the time. if you are worried about keeping them confined that long, you could bring a foldable exercise pen and a scrap of carpet for them to have some room to stretch.

Most of my carriers are 4 holes with metal dividers. I like to give them more room when they will spend days in the carriers, so I simply remove one or two dividers to make them into two or three holes instead. Just use ziptes to make it easy to remove or replace the dividers.

I show Tans and have been to many shows where the rabbits stayed in their carriers overnight and in a few cases for two nights. As they are a running breed and fairly active, my routine is to put each on the show table for a few minutes to allow them to run. This is done before the show(s) start when the tables are empty and serves a twofold purpose. One -- it allows the rabbit to familiarize itself with running the table and two -- it allows them a chance to stretch their legs. As they will be out and allowed to run during the show itself two or three times they have ample opportunity to stretch.

I thank you for the replies everyone. It was something I had not considered before, and logically I knew that since rabbits are transported cross country by relay drivers, they could spend days in carriers. I was concerned.

Another thought... one of my does I may be showing may have 3 week old kits at that point. Should I bring the kits so they can nurse? Or should I wean at that point? I don't really want to wean that early, but I don't know if 3wk olds are okay with traveling. Obviously, I'd bring a larger cage for mom for post show and nursing.

EnglishSpot":2u5wcmxr said:
Another thought... one of my does I may be showing may have 3 week old kits at that point. Should I bring the kits so they can nurse?

If the doe is in milk she will be DQ'd. I would NOT recommend showing her- it would "look bad" and you don't want to get a bad rep with the judges and exhibitors.

You usually cannot take any rabbits to the show that are not at least 8 weeks old. It would be very stressful for them in any case, and you don't want them exposed to all those rabbits.

I would leave the doe at home. Her litter is more important than going to a show. :)

Thank you MSD!! I wasn't aware of that!! In a way, that's okay if I leave her home, she's long in the shoulder and the judges ding her for it, but the babies she would be tending would be from her crossing with Wheatley, who has the shoulder correction for her kits (and she evens out his hindquarters). One less rabbit to take. :) If she has kits. I hope.

EnglishSpot":dji2ckw3 said:
Thank you MSD!! I wasn't aware of that!!

No problem. Glad to have prevented that particular faux pas. ;)

Many people do show pregnant rabbits, though. Generally only up to two weeks gestation- they look really good at that stage, but beyond that you risk stressing them and losing the litter.

Latest posts

Back