Stupid rabbit or maybe it's stupid me

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know it's funny. I realized today that if it were my dog that bit one of the family (in an unprovoked attack) hard enough to need stitches I'd put the dog down. If it bit a friend's child, a baby, a stranger--I'd have no choice but to put it down. Sad but true. So I decided it was madness to allow this rabbit to repeatedly bite me, hard and deep. I don't enjoy culling but I came to feel it was necessary.

Yep , culling is always hard .... but imagine all the negative consequences otherwise.

I don't expect many "pet" breeders to come to that conclusion (take that as a compliment).

I agree with your decision wholeheartedly. :D

To me, a biter (more specifically, one who draws blood) is a rabbit that has failed at behaving like a domestic animal.

We root those wild types out of the gene pool for the good of rabbits in general. Anyone with a loving, cuddly, friendly pet bunny (who reads this in horror) needs to understand that culling for domesticity is how rabbits went from wild animals that would panic at human contact, to an animal that can love and enjoy their lives with us.

Selecting for domestic behavior is also selecting for traits that I believe will lead to happier animals, because biters tend to feel stress or fear from human attention, neither of which are positive emotions.

I don't have any statistics to back that up, but, I am of the opinion that aggressive animals are at much higher risk for abuse, neglect, or abandonment.

Back