holland lop babies and their ears

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cookie":rqq9ahne said:
Is that the Rocky Mtn high show?
It's on their calendar of events. It's put on by the local club, Southern Colorado RBA.

Hope to see ya there. I'll have my R/T user name badge hanging on a cage with my Flemish Giants. :D

BunnyBadge300.png

edit: Contacted a friend of mine (Kay Miller) that breeds Hollands and she'll see what she has for young bucks to bring along. :)
https://sites.google.com/site/millerlops/home:)

The eye could be nestbox eye... easily treated, but I'd be concerned if the breeder just ignored it as normal.
Between 5 and 8 weeks babies are at the highest risk for weaning enteritis. Staying with mom and getting her gut bacteria by eating cecotropes is important for gut health and development.
I have does who won't keep nursing to 8 weeks, but i keep her close, and keep a close eye on the babies until they pass this milestone.

The problem with your daughter getting attached at 2 weeks is that a lot can change~ including the suspected gender ;)
A pet store bunny is probably a cull and may come with hidden health and other issues, I'd stick to dealing directly with the breeder.
(not all who sell to pet stores are selling junk but there is also the question of how the pet store cares for them and what they are exposed to there).

It is exciting! Good luck and hopefully you can turn up some options!

Thanks - that's good to keep in mind that it might be "nest eye." The breeder said she is treating it ... With a saltwater solution (I think that's what she said). I hope that's ok. The breeder told us that babies don't always make it; my daughter would be sad to hear if anything dies, of course, but she knows she is getting a bunny and is excited about the idea. If this particular baby doesn't work out, she will be ok with another. The breeder has 3 and let us choose one with no guarantees. I also will keep my eye on the eye. We don't want to get into a situation that would require constant vet visits.

These comments have been extremely helpful. Thanks so much!! Learning a lot!!

Stop by and say hi if you make it up tomorrow. I'll have a light gray and several white Flemish Giants there.

Kay said she has a real nice jr. buck she'll bring along to show you if you're interested.
:lilbunny:

Too soon to tell. Looks fine so far! This breeder though...I take serious issue with them. I also take serious issue with pet store buns though :D You might watch for a show nearby and go to them. You might find what you are looking for there.

Thanks to all who gave advice here and invited me to the show in CO (that I couldn't go to ).

We got a bunny; a holland lop. We didn't get the brown one because there was the eye issue that didn't clear up. The bunny is 8 weeks; we took him home yesterday. It's a boy!

Thanks again everyone!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 1,443
Awe how sweet! What a nice little guy to get into rabbits with:). Hope you enjoy him! That's a happy smile in your car there.....

Back