Spontaneous behavior change

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lburleigh

Reaction score
Hey guys,

My bunny, Moo, has been more skittish and freaking out easier lately. Over the past few days, she gets nervous and hides over simple noises that she never worried about before.

She has also been thumping more often at what seems like nothing. I can't find a common factor for when/why she starts thumping and freaking out.
Yesterday, she was thumping so we tried to calm her down and when she wouldn't, we opened the cage to give her some room (this works sometimes) but she started flipping out instead and running around and kicking up hay and poops. She got into a space near Cal's (my other bun) cage. We were able to hold her and she was incredibly still and didn't kick. We pet her to calm her down for a while then put her in her litter box and kept the cage open to allow her space but she never came out again. She was ok but seemed scared.

I'm incredibly worried that something is going wrong. Does anyone have any thoughts? She has been eating, drinking, and pooping normally. I can't find any signs of medical illness or concern.

Sorry for such a long post but thanks in advance!!

A little more information might help us. Is she a house rabbit or is her cage in a garage or shed? Do you have other pets that might have frightened her, such as a dog or cat? Could there be pests like rats or mice that go after her food and upset her? And, yes . . . Is she pregnant?

Years ago, my son had a pet rabbit. She was pretty easy going, but one sound (or possibly smell) upset her terribly--the sizzling of frying meat. We found out, quite by accident, that soft music soothed her. She swooned for the Righteous Brothers' Unchained Melody. It was funny watching her mellow out and go into a trance when we played it. You may find music helps your bun too.

She shouldn't be. We bought her from the vet and they told us she was spayed.

She is an inside bunny but is not allowed full access to the house unless under supervision. She has a spacious, closed off area.

I don't believe we have mice or anything that could be getting at her food.

We have no cats or dogs, only another bun, Cal, who is neutered. They each have their own houses. They have been in the same situation (different areas but able to see each other) for months, ever since we got Moo. Nothing has changed which is why I don't understand.

There is nothing consistent about the times she is bothered.
I will definitely check into the music!! Thank you Maggie!

Is it possible that she got spooked once and since yall have given some form of attention. That now she is doing it to get attention. I'm new to rabbits but know quite a lot about pet psychology. And if a behavior gets some attention, good or bad, some will keep it up.
Just a thought,
Cathy

Back