Selling pet rabbits--moral dilemma

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiny Buns

Reaction score
We live in a smaller city, surrounded by even smaller towns. The "big city" is a 5 hr drive.

We have an super small market and so when my son wanted to try rabbits in a 4H capacity I knew they'd mostly be going to pet homes. There just aren't the breeder/show interests this far north. I've turned people away who I didn't feel good about but this time I had an epiphany that one way or another what I want doesn't matter because my rabbit will go to that person anyway.

So I have a woman inquire about my kits. She tells me about her previous pet rabbit who she bathed, put in the swimming pool, took to the lake because it 'loved' to swim. I shudder and mentally think love to live is more accurate...

She tells me her rabbit was a mini human and ate what they ate including cake with icing, rice crispy squares and chocolate advent calendars. No mention rabbit foods like hay.

So here is the dilemma. I feel concerned and obviously care where my rabbits find a home. I've discussed my concerns and forwarded information on stress and diet. If I refuse the sale, she will just go and buy my rabbit from the pet store which is where they end up if I can't sell them. Sigh. ultimately a person will do what they are going to do regardless of your feelings on the matter. So do I give the pet store my $$ for this rabbit because of principle or take the money and use it to feed the herd like usual?

This is a difficult thing. I have been in a similar position, not quite the same thing but I had a customer who I know her animals have a high mortality rate and who did have one rabbit die, that tried to buy a 2nk kit from me. It was a tough choice but I knew the rabbit would have a happy (and probably very short) life. She does feed them rabbit food but just doesn't take enough care to keep them from predators and doesn't live on the land where they stay, so they are somewhat cared for but it's not the most responsible places to send them.......I would get some more info from this lady, like how long did the last rabbit live and link to that to diet, and keep educating her. Also point out the things that she can safely do with it that will make the bunny seem a part of the family (minus the swimming and eating junk food).......and I would probably still well to her. JMOP tho, and I understand it's not a fun spot to be in but does happen occasionally.....

If you have educated her, ,you've done your job.

If she chooses to buy a rabbit from you (you knowing she'll get the rabbit anyways), at least it puts you in a position to be a support should she discover that she needs it. :)

I can understand why you'd have such a hard issue. You've done your best, you know what the out come is. The question is, can you live with sending them to the pet shop for people like that? I know not all are, but that's a gamble with each one. If you can deal with knowing that, then I see no reason to without sale. If you question still, I'd refuse sale. If decide to go ahead and sale to shop, at least you are not directly in her line of fire so to speak when/if things go wrong.

It worries me with the "mini human" idea. It sounds too much like a rescue mentality to me and makes me worried if she wasn't happy or I said some thing off that she'd go running to a rescue/shelter and start talking which would have them knocking on door because *shock* a breeder doesn't treat their rabbits that way;, I know people think of some of their pets as their kids as they don't have any but to subject them to human treatment is asking for trouble in more ways than one. Not saying loving them, adoring them, treats, etc like a lil one is a bad thing; just there is an obvious line that shouldn't be crossed and a dog still needs to be treated/fed like a dog etc. I don't think I could deal with that alone, but that's a personal thing.

I stopped selling pets for a long time because of few bad instances, not a ton and I've had only two I flat refused to sale to because I knew how/what they from other things I'd seen of them (other 4 times it has been lack of feeding and getting tired, more or less calling me to pick up as they don't want to bury; bad instances since 2001), not every one I sold a pet to gave me trouble or worried me of course but I feel every rabbit deserves for me to at least try not to directly knowingly put it in a bad situation. So, might be time to consider food source as option or even selling pets as can then food source. Doesn't matter the breed, meat is still meat. I started trying the pet thing again, had a few I just could not send to the feeder or eat myself right off the bat, but because of my pricing (20.00 to 35.00 each which is still cheaper than closest pet store which is now doing "rescues", wanted to be affordable but not too affordable, no guarantee bought as seen, with receipt stating such and for pet only) I guess no one was interested but did have 2 months worth of time wasters...so they ended up at the feeders any way in the end.

It's really a matter of what you can mentally accept. Personally, it'd eat at me selling directly to someone like that. But not so much as "ew creepy" as... "killing with love" like that is a terrifying and not swift death. All I'd be able to think about is the animal I gave life to struggling desperately every time it crossed her fancy to throw them in a bath tub and then a slow agonizing death from poor nutrition, vitamin deficiency, gastro distress, and liver failure from all that crap she fed it. How long her last rabbit lived would be a good question and the fact she didn't outright say it to you, I suspect it didn't get past a year - if it was lucky.

BUT, I have no problem selling through stores because I'd really rather NOT know if I had to go that route. (Hasn't happened yet as stock that's not usable right now is eaten regardless of size, meat is meat and pelts are being stockpiled >>)

Rebel.Rose.Rabbitry":61zsn8ou said:
I can understand why you'd have such a hard issue. You've done your best, you know what the out come is. The question is, can you live with sending them to the pet shop for people like that? I know not all are, but that's a gamble with each one. If you can deal with knowing that, then I see no reason to without sale. If you question still, I'd refuse sale. If decide to go ahead and sale to shop, at least you are not directly in her line of fire so to speak when/if things go wrong.

It worries me with the "mini human" idea. It sounds too much like a rescue mentality to me and makes me worried if she wasn't happy or I said some thing off that she'd go running to a rescue/shelter and start talking which would have them knocking on door because *shock* a breeder doesn't treat their rabbits that way;, I know people think of some of their pets as their kids as they don't have any but to subject them to human treatment is asking for trouble in more ways than one. Not saying loving them, adoring them, treats, etc like a lil one is a bad thing; just there is an obvious line that shouldn't be crossed and a dog still needs to be treated/fed like a dog etc. I don't think I could deal with that alone, but that's a personal thing.

I stopped selling pets for a long time because of few bad instances, not a ton and I've had only two I flat refused to sale to because I knew how/what they from other things I'd seen of them (other 4 times it has been lack of feeding and getting tired, more or less calling me to pick up as they don't want to bury; bad instances since 2001), not every one I sold a pet to gave me trouble or worried me of course but I feel every rabbit deserves for me to at least try not to directly knowingly put it in a bad situation. So, might be time to consider food source as option or even selling pets as can then food source. Doesn't matter the breed, meat is still meat. I started trying the pet thing again, had a few I just could not send to the feeder or eat myself right off the bat, but because of my pricing (20.00 to 35.00 each which is still cheaper than closest pet store which is now doing "rescues", wanted to be affordable but not too affordable, no guarantee bought as seen, with receipt stating such and for pet only) I guess no one was interested but did have 2 months worth of time wasters...so they ended up at the feeders any way in the end.

Not sure there's much meat in a Netherland dwarf. Kind of a lot of effort for two chicken wing sized pieces lol

Do you have any feed stores or farmers markets you can sell at as opposed to selling them in pet stores? We have not had enough rabbits to try that yet, but that is my plan once we reach that point. I plan to try and sit outside our local tractor supply, with my daughter and 4 or 5 of them, and a sign saying what they are priced at. Then anyone who buys one can hit the feed store for feed (the type I already use), supplies, feeders, and cages. Just an idea if you are using the pet store as a last resort, this option may possibly connect you with people who are more into farm type animals and are ready for the responsibility.

macksmom98":dcg2o3oa said:
Do you have any feed stores or farmers markets you can sell at as opposed to selling them in pet stores? We have not had enough rabbits to try that yet, but that is my plan once we reach that point. I plan to try and sit outside our local tractor supply, with my daughter and 4 or 5 of them, and a sign saying what they are priced at. Then anyone who buys one can hit the feed store for feed (the type I already use), supplies, feeders, and cages. Just an idea if you are using the pet store as a last resort, this option may possibly connect you with people who are more into farm type animals and are ready for the responsibility.

We have a market at the feed store the last sunday of every month from april to september. My son and I hit that sale once and were disheartened to see purebred and pedigreed stock selling for $10--I get $25 from the pet store and $80-$120 privately. There really isn't any competition: no holland breeders within a 5 hr drive and 1 netherland breeder in town but not much around. So it's not like there's a glut on the market, but I wouldn't say that hollands or netherlands would appeal to anyone more than the pet crowd around here considering farmers would be looking for meat rabbits not dwarfy sized buns.

I don't expect to make a fortune and I'd be happy to stay out of the red. It's just a fun hobby but the pet people are starting to suck the joy out of the endeavour.

Personally, I do not have an issue turning away a home that I just don't feel comfortable with. However, I also do not have an issue sending rabbits to freezer camp if I cannot sell them, I am unable to sell them to pet stores and lose that kind of control.

But in all seriousness do you eat Netherlands? They're so darn small and it seems like a lot of effort for an extremely minimal payoff.

Yep, in all serious I will send ones SMALLER than a 2lb dwarf to feeders or eat myself (or the critters). They are more tender and prepare faster for me. The smallest I've processed was 1.5lbs gangly lop and 1.25 lb lionhead, both are live weights.

Tiny Buns":25yx9v1z said:
But in all seriousness do you eat Netherlands? They're so darn small and it seems like a lot of effort for an extremely minimal payoff.

Lionheads. My lines are fairly close to ND in size, but with the added bonus of 3" wool everywhere, LOL.

The particularly small ones are sold as pet food.

Tiny Buns":j116gloe said:

The reaaaally small ones (like kits/DoAs/etc) for me go to dog food. My Aussies love them and will gladly eat them completely whole. Even the fur. And no it does not make them crazy bunny-killing monsters either. They know when I'm offering a tasty dead morsel and when I'm holding a live rabbit (or said live rabbit got out and needs to be corralled back to the cages).

I would also support culling those that do not sell. Yes, you can eat them. There is also the option of culling and freezing whole, then selling to a reptile fancier. If you could find a buyer you could save them up and meet a couple times a year in the 5 hour away city.

Back