visiting a rabbitry

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HOWsMom":190aqnnl said:
But it does give a new look at why I see on so many boards / FB groups etc, the seeming hatred of pet buyers :(

I don't know that I'd use the work "hatred". But I do think there's a "tension" with those of us that breed rabbits for the table and people that consider rabbits to be "pets".

Rabbits were domesticated back in the 5th Century for one purpose only: food. Since then, a variety of different rabbit breeds have been created not just for food but also for fun (pets) and fancy (showing). To each his own.

Most of the folks I know that raise livestock don't spend much time online. It may well be that much of the animosity you see posted is coming from the PETA and ARA groups that consider any use/ownership of animals to be evil. (Then again, I don't know what you've seen so maybe I'm wrong.)

In spite of the many benefits and advantages of rabbit meat, PETA is determined that rabbit will NOT become the next "chicken". The recent protest of Whole Foods saw the House Rabbit Society join with PETA and other radical groups in an attempt to get that company to quit selling rabbit meat.

So, MOM, let me assure you that I don't hate people that keep rabbits as pets. But I sure don't understand them. From what I've seen here, it seems you are going out of your way to be responsible. Thank you.

HOWsMom":2rrc7uut said:
I must say that that is all very discouraging to read :(

I really hope you don't truly believe that ALL pet owners treat their animals - regardless of species - like that :(

IF I can be of any encouragement to you, I have had completely different experiences with pet buyers. Though I know there are very irresponsible pet buyers out there, and I do understand why people have concerns, that simply has not been my experience. Though I have absolutely no problem with rabbits for meat, ours sell for pets. It has been an extremely positive experience.
Though I post locally, hardly any of our customers have been local. Most all our buyers have driven an hour and a half or 2 hours (some more) to purchase their pet. I like this because it tells me it's not likely something they are doing on a whim but something they are willing to travel for. They have been people that have been researching the breeds, have purchased all the supplies in advance, email me with questions to learn more, and send me photo updates on their new pet. One sweet customer emails me pictures every couple days! :D She's an older lady and she said she feels alive again having this pet to take care of and enjoy. That makes me smile. :)
I can't take the credit for the positive experience I've had though. I prayed over this rabbitry thing from the start and asked for customers to be sent that would really take good care of the rabbits and that the rabbit would be a blessing to their family. I am thankful.

I feel like in this day and time it pays to be overly cautious.

When I was a teenager, I raised them in outdoor hutches in the plain sight of everyone. Back then, people around our area respected our things. It's simply not the case any longer, and people don't care how much time, money, effort, etc. that you've spent or how much they're worth.

Then you have the ARA's. We could discuss for days what they'll do in order to "free" animals, and their ideas of proper housing, care, etc. is dramatically different than ours.

In my mind, that adds up to keeping my operation a secret from others. You just don't know people and what they're up to any longer. :(

Up until three weeks ago. I would have NEVER sold one of my large breeds to a pet buyer.

I had one contact me, and she got a Rex from my mentor, and put in such a plea as to why she should be an exception to my rule, I couldn't resist her.

In my defense, I raise two hard to find breeds, and two that require special care. There aren't a great deal of Rex breeders here, and less that raise the colors I do, so I am reluctant to sell pets when breeders need the stock.

Pets also bring in less money than pedigree show stock. Let's just be honest. Pet people usually don't spend $80 on a rabbit, but a show person would spend more than that one. Paid $90 for a Rex doe I later culled for producing kits with DQ's, $75 plus a 8 mos wait and transport fees for a doe that never had milk for a litter.

For quality control, I cull all rabbits that I would not want to breed, on the off chanced that a pet buyer will break their word (or change their mind) , and start breeding, peds go with pets (Jersey Woolies sell as pets). I won't take the chance that something that should not be bred will get back into the gene pool. Once you've bought a rabbit that turns out funky genes, you don't want anyone to ever have that experience.

The Angoras never go to pet homes, they take maintenance.

It takes several conversations before I give someone my address. I live in the inner city, I don't really want anyone to know I have rabbits, I might come home and they are gone... though the pack of German Shepherds are great deterrents.

When they finally make the trip, I make sure to have all the dogs out, and they watch me put them away. Guaranteed they won't come back looking for trouble :) No one except breeder friends I get or sell stock to, ever go in the barn. I bring rabbits out, even if I have to bring the whole litter. Hand sanitizer before and after.

It's funny, I had someone I sold stock to previously come inside. I was moving cages around, they were sitting on the concrete floor with three litter mates and I had a few waiting in the grow out pen to go into new cages (emphasis on grow out). The person told the JW breeders at some other show that I kept all my rabbits together and let them run freely. The breeder I get most of my stock from confronted me at a show. I was dumbfounded. I was pretty sure I explained the situation to the visitor, but people see what they want to see, and although they say alright, ok, really you don't know what they are thinking or how they interpreted what they've seen or heard.

About shows--I've lost stock before. Yes shows are risky, but I depend mostly on breeders feeling the same way as I do, not bringing sick stock. There are cleaning supplies to wipe off the show table if one is inclined to do so. I've heard a few stories where someone brings something sneezing and the folks I show with make a big fuss.

After a show I QT everything that traveled, even if it didn't go on the table.

WhWRabbitry":2h92h25m said:
Though I post locally, hardly any of our customers have been local. Most all our buyers have driven an hour and a half or 2 hours (some more) to purchase their pet. I like this because it tells me it's not likely something they are doing on a whim but something they are willing to travel for. They have been people that have been researching the breeds, have purchased all the supplies in advance, email me with questions to learn more, and send me photo updates on their new pet.

I have had this same experience with selling puppies, and I think it has a lot to do with the way you market your animals and interact with potential customers before making a sale.

I have seen the beautiful photographs of your bunnies here on RT, so your ads must be spectacular.

I rarely sell rabbits and never allow potential buyers to my rabbitry, which is at my home. This is primarily for personal safety. In the past when I sold rabbits more frequently, I always met the buyer at a gas station near the interstate. A 10 minute drive for me but the buyer never saw where I live. I also made sure my fiance was able to go with me - I never met buyers alone. After a couple went missing in my state and later discovered murdered after responding to a Craigslist ad, I became even more cautious because you never really know about someone - especially someone you have emailed a few times. A few buyers have refused to purchase if they can't see my set up. I'm ok with that because I don't have to sell rabbits, we eat the extras.

As for selling pets, I am hesitant about it. That's because of an incident about 5 years ago. I always interview people about how they plan to care for their rabbit and answer questions they have. This guy sounded honest. We met up and he took a rabbit and care guide home. That evening he called to say the rabbit was dead. I asked questions trying to figure out what could have happened. He ignored my questions and just wanted to know where he could find another rabbit. From talking to him, I became suspicious. I never found out what happened or if the rabbit was even really dead but it has made me all the more careful about placing a rabbit in a pet home. I am open to helping someone get the right pet rabbit though and just last weekend gave away 2. But that person has to really stand out to me as an exceptional home.

I live in a big city and have had a few rabbits stolen, so now each hutch has a padlock. It's a hassle but my Dwarf Hotots are either ones I've paid $100+ for or plan to show or sell for a comparable amount.

I'm not planning on selling pet quality bunnies to anyone but 4-H kids for showmanship rabbits. They are all handled and used to being examined so are great for cloverbud 4-H projects or showmanship classes. I require a club #, Parish 4-H leader info and phone number, or some other confirmation that they won't just end up a neglected pet.

I have no desire to invite crazies or animal rights folks to my home, even by accident. I know people who have had chickens and goats stolen, "released", or even beheaded by people for no reason. I'm not taking any chances. My yard is locked and fenced, patrolled by my Pit Bull and you can't see them unless you are already in the property fence. Out of sight, out of mind.

macksmom98":1yhdvwsa said:
Lockdown:) Sounds good-do whatcha gotta do!

^^Permanent Lockdown^^

Bringing people into your rabbitry can be just as bad as bringing in a rabbit and not putting it in quarantine .... I avoid the biohazard!

Back