Thumping

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funnies50

Reaction score
A few minutes ago there was some music playing in a room about 25 ft away (not loud, but audible) and Caramel started perking up. A lot. Then it stopped and she ran to the closet and hid on top of my box behind some shirts and began banging her feet on the lid. She'll still do it if I thump my hand on something, and now she's flinching at the slightest noises.
Is this something rabbits normally do? :roll:
Btw, an hour ago she was begging to be petted and I couldn't get a thing done. She'd bite my pants if I stopped rubbing her head.

:yeahthat: If rabbits are scared or startled they will thump to alert others to danger. I also have a doe that will do it to get my attention when its feeding time in the morning. (She's a food junky. :lol: ) Until the food hits her feeder she won't stop thumping and running to and fro. :roll:

I've had thumping from fear, thumping from demanding attention, and thumping from a guilty conscience.

Seriously.

Aslan, our indoor Lionhead, will sometimes start thumping when he's done something he knows he shouldn't, like pee on the floor. He knows that peeing on the floor results in his being confined to his cage, and so he'll start thumping in protest before we even know he's been bad. :p

Pinto, our indoor disabled rabbit, will sometimes start thumping if he calculates that it's been too long since he's been held. :?

Also, when one grumpy rabbit starts thumping for no reason at all others will pick it up, and you have a full "Stomp!"-orchestra for 10 minutes. Annoying if it's 2am and in front of your bedroom window :shock:

Sometimes they mistake a noise you make for thumping, but normally they are pretty good at distinguishing what's real and what not, so I try to avoid stomping on the ground unless I want them alert - sometimes useful when trying to get 8 growout bucks back into their hutch, or I can draw attention to me if a doe gets out while the other is in the garden, they don't get along and I need to be pretty fast to catch one, it helps to startle them for a few seconds.

But I would not use that with a pet rabbit, imho it makes them more skittish. When they learn that you give alarms I would expect that they start to interpret more sounds you make as alarm.

Preitler":1q3wrzmf said:
Also, when one grumpy rabbit starts thumping for no reason at all others will pick it up, and you have a full "Stomp!"-orchestra for 10 minutes. Annoying if it's 2am and in front of your bedroom window :shock:
:p :p

Oh, alright then. :) I heard the noise before and wasn't sure what it was until yesterday, lol.

When there is a predator behind the privacy fence late at night (usually one or two am) Lexi will jump up on herwooden house and thump warnings until the beastie has gone away. Pretty smart, because the acoustics of her house and the echo between our house and the neighbor makes her sound HUGE.

EnglishSpot":pgqo649z said:
When there is a predator behind the privacy fence late at night (usually one or two am) Lexi will jump up on herwooden house and thump warnings until the beastie has gone away. Pretty smart, because the acoustics of her house and the echo between our house and the neighbor makes her sound HUGE.
:lol:

Doing it again. :? She's slinking around the house - literally one paw at a time. :roll: Could it be that she hears something I don't? (Come on, you have to admit that a watch-bunny would be a good help and not as much trouble as a dog :p)

Back