Register

Mini Rex with terrible diarrhea

Diagnosing and treating rabbit ailments. *Caution! These threads may contain graphic content.*
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 3,797.00

Re: Mini Rex with terrible diarrhea

Post Number:#16  Unread postby jimmywalt » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:26 pm

UPDATE -

She "seems" to be doing fine now. We have only given her oatmeal (rolled oats) and lots of hay. We have given her about a nickel-size of rabbit pellets. She eats them down right away. There have been a couple really small but loose stools. We are nervous about switching her back to pellets. But if she's pregnant and due on 8/12/14 she probably needs to be converted soon.

Still not out of the woods yet.................. :(

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 30.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby speakingtruth2you » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:38 pm

Hiya everyone,
I'd posted earlier this morning in another part of forum but initially before signing up your posts are what I had seen.
My mini rex is or was having diahrea. Currently he isn't and it appears he may be clogged up now.
I'm giving stemmed alfalfa, timothy hay, oatmeal with plenty of water. I went and got the 'sav-a-chick' electrolytes and probiotic. I mixed up a gallon per instructions and filled his water bottle. Now he isn't drinking anymore. Doesn't appear dehydrated yet and don't feel his spine. He still is his slightly plump self but shedding like crazy.
I added a bowl of plain water which he drank at first but tends to nudge with his nose till it tips over. I went ahead and put some of the water with 'sav-a-chick in a syringe and gave it to him after cleaning his bottom last time. I will continue to do so each time I take him out to work on his bottom.
I'm getting him out of his cage every few hours now and gently applying a warm wet wash clothe to his bottom and rubbing vaseline around all areas compacted. He had a large piece of poo on his tail earlier and that did fall off but am concerned if he's constipated now due to dried poo. I see urine but no poo not even normal.
I'll keep working to clean off gently his bottom and hope it clears off.
Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks in advance. :bunnyhop:
SpeakingTruth2You
http://simplybackwoodsblog.blogspot.com

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 3,797.00

Post Number:#18  Unread postby jimmywalt » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:02 pm

We found the SLIVER BULLET. A person who has been raising rabbits for 30 years told us this.............

Immediately get the bunny some water/sugar mixture. Give it to her with an eye dropper. This will start up the electrolytes and give her energy.

About 2 hours later give her some yogurt with an eye dropper. Might have to force it into her cheeks, but after a few hours it will give her the necessary organisms in her belly to make her well again.

We did this and within 24 hours she totally turned around. She started eating like crazy!!!! :D :D

The following user would like to thank jimmywalt for this post
Easy Ears, Preitler

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 56,225.00

Post Number:#19  Unread postby Miss M » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:39 am

SpeakingTruth, what Jimmywalt recommends may very well work. The key is, no matter what it is you get into your rabbit, you must get something in. If he hasn't stopped eating already, he will soon now that he has stopped drinking except for what you are syringing into him. This is an emergency.

You must get fluids into him by any means possible. Whatever fluids. Preferably something like Gatorade or Pedialyte, but certainly anything like sugar water, molasses water, diluted tea, fruit juice, something. He's got to start taking something in, even if you force it with a syringe, like you are doing.

He must keep eating, too. If a rabbit stops eating for too long, the GI tract shuts down and cannot be restarted. Of course healthier rabbit foods would be best, but in an emergency situation you just want him eating. Tempt him, if necessary, with oats lightly coated with molasses. Maybe he'd take dandelion, plantain (the lawn weed), blackberry canes and leaves, or willow twigs. Even chunks of pineapple or apple or banana. Maybe mix oats with mashed banana. Whatever he'll take. Then dial back on the sugary treats as soon as possible.

You are doing the right things. Keep it up and keep us posted! :clover:
Sithrah Farm - http://sithrahfarm.com/

We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
- James Madison

Previous