Oops!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So by this picture.

rabbitbodycondition.png

My Cal doe is obese apparently. Looks like someone is going on a diet. They're all fed the same thing, same time, and same amount, but somehow she got fat. :|

That's what I was thinking. It's the ones that we thought were 2 does, and one turned out to be a buck, lol. In the last few weeks she has become very mellow, fat, and lazy. So I put a nest box in there with her, and she LOVES sitting in it! I don't see much movement in her stomach, but when you feel her. The sides of her stomach sort of stick out, to one side, or the other, and it's not like squishy, it's firm-ish.

I got some alfalfa, and gave her a little. She munched on some, but not all. Should I toss more in there? I swear I felt tiny tiny movement, almost like a hiccup?

Also don't know if this means anything, but I noticed her nipples her more predominant?

I dont know about the alfalfa, I never buy it, I just give regulate mixed grass hay.

Going by that picture alot of meat breeds would be obese. A much better indicator is to feel along the backbone. If it feels spiky they are to thin, if you have trouble feeling the backbone they are to far. Being able to feel the backbone easily without it seeming spiky is idea.

Meat breeds are bred to be "easy keepers". A rabbit you don't have to feed as much is money in your pocket.

Okay okay. I truly think I am losing my mind!

I very gently placed my hands under her, because it's like not her belly that's fat. Her sides stick out, and are firm. I had my hands just under her ribs. With my right hand I felt a hard mass, which I thought to be a rib. I felt the same area, but on her left side with my left hand, and there was nothing there. I went back to the right side, the mass was still there, THEN instead of at her side it was at her lower stomach, then back to her sides. Now I really do feel insane. Did I really feel that, or driving myself crazy?! It wasn't that long ago that we realized her cage mate was a buck instead of a doe, and separated them, but I do not remember the exact date.

I would rethink that diet idea....

I suck at palpating, but sides sticking out doesn't sound like just fat.
My doe ignored the nestbox until 3 hours before kindling.

I definitely am! I'm going to wait, and see. I put her box in and filled it with hay. She jumped in, and will smash it down, dig it, smash it, eat some, jump out, and repeat.

She has been so lazy lately, and breaths a bit faster than before.

Becca relax! ;) Put a nest box in and give her a couple hours to get use to it being there. Then put a big handful of straw in with her and see what happens. If she starts packing it away give her more. :lol:
Then wait and have some :popcorn: .

I had one doe who messed with the hay/nest so much in the couple weeks leading up to kindling she had a mountain of wasted hay under her hutch :roll: . I am guessing she is PG - and the removal date isn't nearly as important as the date that they were either put together, or became mature... hopefully babies soon!

Here is a kitten on the pile underneath her nest :lol: I'm just going to let it decompose and use it on the garden...

heritage":21v9405s said:
Here is a kitten on the pile underneath her nest :lol: I'm just going to let it decompose and use it on the garden...

Why would you do that to the poor kitty? :cry: :D

I truly believe I felt movement this morning. I could only really feel it on the left side. She is in, and out of the nest box often, and sleeps beside it a lot.

At what stage in pregnancy can you kits moving in the doe? I'm trying to get at least some sort of day count, lol.

the reluctant farmer":hql1euq9 said:
Nika":hql1euq9 said:
heritage":hql1euq9 said:

Why would you do that to the poor kitty? :cry: :D
It took me a moment, :? Then :rotfl:
I have a way with words, especially right before bed ;) :lol:

Becca, I can't palpate for the life of me. From the behavior you're describing it sounds like she could be nearing, if she is pregnant. Depends on the doe if they have behavior changes. I think most folks here rely on their calendars, or their best guestimate in case of a "whoops." If you can remember how many weeks ago it was that you separated them, I'd expect her to be ready to kindle at the earliest today, and then at the very latest four weeks from the day you separated them. Sorry I'm not being more helpful--but I've gathered over time that most folks stink at palpating, so we're not going to be able to give you great advice, and even when you are good at it, some does still manage to pull a fast one and find some secret passage to tuck the kits into so they're a surprise. But I'd continue.with what you're doing: keep a box and hay/straw in there, then estimate out my latest date so I know when to quit hoping...

I felt her up again today, and near her rips/sternum I could clearly feel a lump that would poke out rub along my fingers, or hand, turn, and move to where I could not feel it, then back out.

I gave her a box 2 days ago, and put hay in it, and she will hop in, smash the hay down with her front paws, eat some, lay down, smash it, hop out, then do it again throughout the day.

As far as mood it has changed slightly. When you picked her up before her eyes would bug out, and she looked freaked. Now when you pick her up she just doesn't care. She's pretty relaxed, and lazy. Laying down a lot, and her eyes always look heavy like she's exhausted.

Latest posts

Back