Pinched hip doe is acting neurotic ;)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiny Buns

Reaction score
So my sable point netherland doe who I just discovered has pinched hips (hence the dead kits twice) is acting neurotic :mrgreen:

She was sitting in her nest box with her head hidden in the corner and covered with her pulled fur. When I took the nest box out, my crazy lady started pulling fur and frantically searching for the box. Now she's "settled down" :shock: and just about jumps out of her skin when you walk past the cage, that or she lunges like a starving tiger and tries to bite. Neither behaviour is any way characteristic of her norm. Generally she does the run up the cage and shy hide/tease to get her love and pats. Now she's crazy. Hormones? Has she snapped? Lost her marbles along with the kits?

She probably is just dealing with the hormones of post-birth and without kits, she is not sure what to do.

{the 'mental patient' analogy is really distasteful... crazy would do fine... without suggesting that anyone who is a mental patient due to emotional health issues is insane}

Oddly that is normal rabbit behavior for the most part. Crazy nesting does are common. She has very strong instincts to make a nest and protect it. Protecting can mean running away if there is a potential threat. Personally though I would probably replace her. There are so many neurotic, nippy Netherland dwarf out there that I refuse to breed anything that is a bit past the average for spastic behavior. I have (more like had because I'm getting out of rabbits) Netherlands that are quite calm and very reliable for nesting in the box and not losing kits. I culled all rabbits I bought from one breeder and most from a second because of personality, lost kits, poor nesting behavior, and we won't get into the ones that drew blood on me with no warning.

Dead kits twice?

As in, this is her second failed litter, and she didn't act like this after the first one?

If that is the case, I wonder if maybe there is something more wrong...

Either way, breeding her again might not be in her best interest. :(

TF3, I am sorry that you found my descriptions of my neurotic doe offensive. I would send this to your privately, but you make a good point that others may feel the same way, so I'll just be perfectly honest here and a little blunt.

I have come to the realization that considering my grandfather died of Alzheimers and Parkinson's, my mother is chronically depressed, my dad and my younger sister both have severe Asperger's (form of Autism), my oldest son is severely Autistic (he's 16 and I change his diapers and feed him), my youngest son has mild Aspergers, my ex-husband has epilepsy, my second husband is bi-polar and is an alcoholic 20 years sober, and I suffer from anxiety, panic attacks, depression and chronic fatigue, that I no longer have the energy or the inclination to worry about what others think. I have learned that if you can't laugh you cry. I honestly feel that having to care for and live with people with mental "issues" for 45 years I have earned the right to be ok with it. I am so inundated with "mental" everything that it's just a way of life. So truly, I am sorry if anyone chooses to find offense in that. I was told this is a very non-judgmental board so I hope that's true.

I think we all mean well, here. TF3 created a thread just the other day. post284674.html#p284674 I'll bet many people remember the title (Wait a cotton pickin' minute...) as something their own grandparents often said. But, it's considered racial slur.

We don't mean judgement when we title our posts. But, it's true we should be careful when considering words.

We are all learning.

As for your rabbit, I would think she has something else going on, since she didn't act this way last time. But, I'd give her a couple weeks to settle own and see if she improves before I'd cull her. I've got a soft spot for mental/emotional females. :)

Ha! See what I did? Duh.
It has never occurred to me re. My thread title and I will change that one.
I know you don't mean to offend.
Many of the same issues you cite apply to my family as well, and for that reason I do try and tamp down on stereotypes when they occur-- so that people can separate old ideas of 'crazy' from mental health issues of our loved ones (and ourselves). I have a good sense of humour but I don't find it funny when people liken their swearing to being like a person with Tourette's, for example. Because it leads to misunderstanding and loss of dignity for my kid with TS (and Asperger's and... You know how it goes!).
So never mind me :)

What???!!!

"wait a cotton picking minute" is considered by some to be a racial slur????? I think I find it offensive that someone would think that saying is offensive. My grandparents all pick cotton after all and I'm rather proud of the fact.

Now back to our regular scheduled thread...

Zass":1ah2fdhp said:
Dead kits twice?

As in, this is her second failed litter, and she didn't act like this after the first one?

If that is the case, I wonder if maybe there is something more wrong...

Either way, breeding her again might not be in her best interest. :(
Yes this is her second litter. Both times she went to day 32 and both times delivered 2 stuck kits. I figured the first time she was young and a dwarf so lack of success wasn't surprising. It never occurred to me to look for pinched hips.

After the first litter she was mopey and sad but my breeder friend said breed her again and she perked right up.

This time she is downright neurotic. Today (day 35) she made a new nest and lined it with pulled fur. I'm not going to spend $100 to talk to a vet and then have him suggest $$$$ worth of blood tests and X-rays. She's not a great example of the breed. I guess I'll keep an eye on her and if she seems to be suffering I'll put her out of her misery. Unless anyone has a better idea.

-- Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:09 pm --

I just had a horrible thought..... What if she has post partum depression? :x :p :(

Tiny Buns":thw8pt9r said:
I just had a horrible thought..... What if she has post partum depression? :x :p :(

I wouldn't wish that on any beast, let alone a human. Been there, barely survived that. But, that's why I think you ought to give her just a little time and see. That is, if you even want to keep breeding a pinched-hip doe. I know this sounds silly, but if she were mine, I'd comfort her somehow because I find it likely that postpartum emotions are playing a role. Groom her, maybe? Even if you end up culling her, you'll feel better knowing you comforted her during her crazy-phase.

Zinnia":1o44qa94 said:
Tiny Buns":1o44qa94 said:

I wouldn't wish that on any beast, let alone a human. Been there, barely survived that. But, that's why I think you ought to give her just a little time and see. That is, if you even want to keep breeding a pinched-hip doe. I know this sounds silly, but if she were mine, I'd comfort her somehow because I find it likely that postpartum emotions are playing a role. Groom her, maybe? Even if you end up culling her, you'll feel better knowing you comforted her during her crazy-phase.

Oh I hear you. I had just found out my 2 year old had Autism after my second son was born. That was a depression to be reckoned with. Great idea about trying to comfort her. Makes sense. I'll give it a shot. And no, I don't want to breed her, I'd like to pet her out to a loving family.

Latest posts

Back