Hard to take out, impossible to put back in

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiny Buns

Reaction score
I like letting everyone out for a run in the pen every day if possible. I only have 10 seniors and 3 pens so it's not too hard. Most will tolerate a two hands under the paws lift out and gently hop out of my arms and back home. A couple stinkers get the scruff of the neck treatment both trips. But geez, my two holland bucks have no sense. They can't decide how they want to come out. Squirm and kick and fight like I was taking them directly to the stew pot. I don't dare use the scruff of the neck because they kick so violently I envision snapped spines. On the way back they will fight and try to tear away jumping into outer space. Tonight my smaller buck rocketed into his cage and bounced off the walls 8 or 9 times like a firecracker in the bathroom. You'd think I'd thrown him into the fireplace with all the commotion. I want them all to have a nice run but it's damn near impossible to safely put the boys back and frankly not worth the potential injury to them or the bloody scratches on me.

Thoughts?

All of my 6 Hollands have issues transiting into and out of their cages. They can be super sweet and sit contently on my lap, or get down for a run and run all around me, coming up to me occasionally when they get curious or want some love. But they go nuts dirigible transition time. They all get the scruff. It's fast , and I have never thought about snapped spines (something to consider) but if I don't grab the scruff they flop or fall into the cage and I worry about that injury too......crazies, don't they know we are just trying to let them out to have some fun?!?!

macksmom98":3oefgx50 said:
All of my 6 Hollands have issues transiting into and out of their cages. They can be super sweet and sit contently on my lap, or get down for a run and run all around me, coming up to me occasionally when they get curious or want some love. But they go nuts dirigible transition time. They all get the scruff. It's fast , and I have never thought about snapped spines (something to consider) but if I don't grab the scruff they flop or fall into the cage and I worry about that injury too......crazies, don't they know we are just trying to let them out to have some fun?!?!

No kidding....whirling dervishes anyone? :frypan: <br /><br /> -- Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:12 pm -- <br /><br />
Easy Ears":3oefgx50 said:
Maybe try throwing a towel over them and then scooping them up? :lol:

Or a fishing net :lol:

For those tough to put back in their cages .... hold them rump first with their heads between your arm and body so they cant see where they are going.

Query: are they okay if you just reach into their cage to pet them? Have you built up any level of trust?

Cause if you do that... it's easier to transition them.

Then it's just a matter of catching them, removing them BACKWARDS from the cage into a box or bucket. use that to carry them, then for the return you just tilt the bucket toward their cage ... blow on their butt and they'll hop back into their cage. :)

If you can't get them to trust you (some rabbits just won't) then a quick snatch and grab is the route to go. Use them long enough to get better tempered kits out of them and let them go.

Mine love to have me reach in and pet them, unless they are pregnant:). But I will often pull up a chair and sit and hang out with them, and they all come to the edge of their cages and want to be pet or talked to. We let them out often too, and for fun usually, like breeding is excercising. Sometimes they just kick and act like they can't wait to get to it! And another one of ours came from a breeder who never held him, and he's older, so I am not sure he will ever be comfortable with it. Anyway, I'll try some of these suggestions!

Ramjet":1izr5sdt said:
For those tough to put back in their cages .... hold them rump first with their heads between your arm and body so they cant see where they are going.

or, first grab them by the "scruff" - then put the other hand under their butt, and rock them backwards and then lift them up, - if you hold the butt up firmly they feel more secure and "most" will be more calm when moved.[and you will avoid a back injury.] if they squirm, hold them close against your body.

I have three that live in the pen and go outside in the yard all day.
It took about a week to "train" them to go in the pen at dusk: I clap and say "go home" repeatedly.
At first I did this while "herding" them in that direction. Now I don't have to herd, only clap and say go home.

But I don't have the problem of having to put these ones in a cage, so it sounds different from your situation...

I do have one guy that is in a cage. For him I repeated "outside?" over and over until he knows that means he is out of the cage. He will come to the door for me now, but it's nearly impossible for me to herd him back into the cage lol.

michaels4gardens":37uqteyd said:
Ramjet":37uqteyd said:

or, first grab them by the "scruff" - then put the other hand under their butt, and rock them backwards and then lift them up, - if you hold the butt up firmly they feel more secure and "most" will be more calm when moved.[and you will avoid a back injury.] if they squirm, hold them close against your body.

Unfortunately, that is exactly what I do and have done every day for the last 4+ months..... <br /><br /> -- Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:47 am -- <br /><br />
ladysown":37uqteyd said:
Query: are they okay if you just reach into their cage to pet them? Have you built up any level of trust?

Cause if you do that... it's easier to transition them.

Then it's just a matter of catching them, removing them BACKWARDS from the cage into a box or bucket. use that to carry them, then for the return you just tilt the bucket toward their cage ... blow on their butt and they'll hop back into their cage. :)

If you can't get them to trust you (some rabbits just won't) then a quick snatch and grab is the route to go. Use them long enough to get better tempered kits out of them and let them go.

LOOOOOOOOOVE reaching in to be patted....no problems there.

Catching also not an issue because they run right up to me to be picked up. It's the transportation to and from and return to the cage the is the sticking point.

They are the cuddliest, most lovey little boys. Just don't like to travel with their feet off the ground I think.

I'd handle them more while they are in the hutch. Just petting and giving treats and things. When mine rocket around it's because they are scared.

I've had crazy kickers and scratchers go to calm and quiet, while being transported, after a good bit of petting and trust building. Some rabbits stay nervous though. My angoras are easy, even if they try to cause a ruckus they have so much wool they can't do much and give up quickly. My meat buns will shred me if I don't offer them regular attention in between major handling sessions. <br /><br /> -- Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:26 am -- <br /><br /> oh lol nm your already doing that. I had one buck who I just shooed into a carrier when I needed to move him. He hated being off his feet as well. His hutch was low so it was fairly easy. I don't think I'd manage carrier and rabbit shooing if he was in a higher hutch.

My cross does are okay when you take them out of the cage, but putting them back is a trip. They fight, kick, and scratch like the dickens! I suffered 10 nice long, and deep cuts on my arms, and hands from them fighting their way out of my arms, and back to their cages. :evil:

My cross does are okay when you take them out of the cage, but putting them back is a trip. They fight, kick, and scratch like the dickens! I suffered 10 nice long, and deep cuts on my arms, and hands from them fighting their way out of my arms, and back to their cages. :evil:

I just put a ramp at the door and let them go out by themselfs. Ramp is just a board with cuts for better traction because some hutches are rather high.
It's much easier for them to find the way back if the go out by themself, they memorize every step for getting home fast if necessary.

To get them back I shake the pellet box, and they get a treat in the hutch, that works for most (I train that before letting them out the first time). Some simply go in when the had enough fresh air or at dusk. And if one doesn't want to go home when I do I herd him to the ramp (they stop at the ramp to consider - if you try to herd them up they will turn away and run another round, better step back, and only move if they start to turn away), keep them moving by tapping them with a long stick) - until they are annoyed enough that they go home. Trying to catch a rabbit that really doesn't obey is no good, it can ruin it for monthes (so that everytime you start herding it gets skittish and will go everywhere but home), something I try to do only with growouts who never get it. Another very good way for the skittish is a cardboard tube that they will use to hide from your herding - just lift it, point the head end into the hutch and give bunny a shove.

And some really return when I just tell them to do so.

Yes, it is good exercise, sometimes you need lots of patience, and it's fun to learn how they think (as a side effect, I'm pretty good at catching mice with just my hands :D)

It's adorable! And looks like a great option. But for me it would require completely redoing our setup. Maybe in the future, but we only breed for the pet market currently, and our buns pay for themselves, so I'll need to save up the $$$. We will have to add doors to our cages too...

I like it too but structurally impossible based on the current space available Sure would make life easier for my slow learners though ;)

Back