Wait a minute.... dwarfs?!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TF3

Reaction score
So... at the local fur and feather sale yesterday I picked up two fawn does.
It was the end of the day and the animals were going for $1... this pair looked like they needed a bit of TLC (too young to sell!).
The announcer and auctioneer BOTH said "two young Flemish does". My daughter heard it, too.
Basically everything that wasn't a lionhead was called Flemish, NZ or Holland all day.

The box only said "two female rabbits" on it when I got it,
and it is my own fault for not checking them before it was over (fur mites on one, quite scabby, I could have returned them).
Dumb purchase, I know.

So I have quarantined the pair.
The are the size of my small 5 week old kits, but they don't really *look* like babies in the face.
And I noticed their nails were long.
So I just examined them tonight and actually asked them (you know you talk to them too!!)
"how on earth does a baby get nails *that* long?!"

And then it hit me... they don't.
My 6/7 week olds have way less nail (living on wire).

So it seems likely that I picked up a scrawny pair of dwarf does... :x *smacks forehead* *learns lesson*

Other than weighing and watching for growth over the next few weeks, are there any telltale signs I can look for now?
(will post pics when get a chance!)

Instead of quarantining for a month, treating health and reselling, there is always the option of having a good sized pot of bunny noodle soup, rabbit and gravy over mashed potatoes, or a pot pie for only $1 or $2, right?

More bones than meat always makes me think soup or stock...

LOL I am kind of thinking the same thing.... or dog food.
Maybe this is the best way for me to practice and learn about butchering...
I haven't done it yet and these two wouldn't need a big set up... it would be like a mini laboratory.
And we aren't the least bit attached.
Well... they have a good ten days to fatten up, because I simply don't have time this week and we have Thanksgiving travel over the weekend coming.
BUt it sounds like the opportunity I need to suck it up and do the deed!

They make a nice size dog meal. Actually less work than large breeds because even my akita doesn't need more than 2 lbs of raw prey in one meal. The legs are useful for cats because of the smaller, lighter bone.

Latest posts

Back